PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How about another guard?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: How about another guard?

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 pm

If I was 18 again and knew what I know now, my college choice would still be SMU but UCLA wouldbe a close second. It's a beautiful campus in a great part of LA with a smart, very diverse student body. During my time in LA some of the best people I met/worked with were UCLA grads.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Committed to LSU and cancelled his visit with us per Rivals.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby KWhiz77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Assuming Chad Lott will not want to go to LSU with Sampson's commit, does anyone have any info on where they think he will go? I am very surprised Lott did not commit to LSU long ago. We have an offer, but no chatter on current interest.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby gostangs » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 pm

UCLA is a great campus - but the student body has become a big version of rice. Kind of nerdy. Thats why all the so cal kids are coming to Dallas.

Don't know how you could watch the UCLA game vs us and think we would not beat them 8 out of ten times. They were VERY lucky to win that game. We won our conference and they were 4th in a pretty average Pac conference. Their bigs were stiffs. Nice guards though.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 am

gostangs wrote:UCLA is a great campus - but the student body has become a big version of rice. Kind of nerdy. Thats why all the so cal kids are coming to Dallas.

I'd disagree with this. UCLA is crawling with hot girls, and I would never describe UCLA students as nerdy......although many are smart. UCLA is very international. The student body is representative of the California population.

gostangs wrote:Don't know how you could watch the UCLA game vs us and think we would not beat them 8 out of ten times. They were VERY lucky to win that game. We won our conference and they were 4th in a pretty average Pac conference. Their bigs were stiffs. Nice guards though.

I agree we should've won but I disagree that their bigs were stiff. I thought Tony Parker and Looney were two of their better players. Parker has one more year and averaged 12 pts and 7 boards a game last season. Looney is projected to be a top 20 pick in this year's NBA draft. I'll take stiffs like that every day of the week.

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 am

If Alford didn't have a miracle day shooting those threes, we'd have won by quite a bit. He stole the game for UCLA.
ponyboy

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:26 am

He didn't steal anything from us. He did what he does and we did what we do. His whole season was been about jacking up crazy junk that somehow goes and ours was about giving up deep 3s. That's a perfect storm and what the NCAA is all about
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am

FWIW, Lot will have to find a home cause LSU is going to wait on Malik Newman pushing the Fab 5 mantra. The fact we wouldn't even interview Johnny, who was begging for the job, is so very sad
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyswim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 am

On the UCLA game - we were ahead by 7-8 points with about a minute to go. The Yanick call overshadowed the fact that we did
not protect that lead - the call was part of that, but our poor play was most of it. Nothing got stolen from us because Alford made shots.
We did not do our part - make free throws, not turn it over, not make shots at the end of the game.
I love much of what the team did this year, but play better in that game and you can't get beat by one shot or one call at the end.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:37 am

ponyswim wrote:On the UCLA game - we were ahead by 7-8 points with about a minute to go. The Yanick call overshadowed the fact that we did
not protect that lead - the call was part of that, but our poor play was most of it. Nothing got stolen from us because Alford made shots.
We did not do our part - make free throws, not turn it over, not make shots at the end of the game.
I love much of what the team did this year, but play better in that game and you can't get beat by one shot or one call at the end.

not to mention we were basically MIA for the first 30 minutes.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:40 am

I completely agree with ponyswim and hmx with the comments regarding the UCLA game. Perfect storm and we folded (early and at the end). Everything was set up perfect for us (beating a "name school" then getting to the sweet 16 to set up a rematch at Moody next year with the same zags team that probably would've beaten us again in the tourney).

Anyway, back to UCLA as a school. I lived right outside of LA for over 7 years and worked with several UCLA alums (been on campus for various functions a few times). If I lived in California and didn't get a full ride scholarship to SMU, I'd be all over UCLA if I had to do it all over again. Although looking back, Stanford would have been my dream school just being honest. My "fall back schools" would have been Pepperdine and UCSB. :-)
Last edited by ojaipony on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ojaipony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

hoopmanx wrote:He didn't steal anything from us. He did what he does and we did what we do.

I'm not sure hitting 9 of 11 three point attempts is normal, even for Alford.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:09 am

Its weird we kind of threw away the NIT Championship and NCAA Tournament game in the same way. Two improbable losses just when momentum was looking like we had both games in hand
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smusportspage » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 am

:cry: Like a punch to the gut.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

Yep.

NIT vs. Minnesota - up seven with 5 minutes to play.
NCAA vs. UCLA - up seven with 1:26 to play.

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball