PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Favorite NON-Basketball moment at Moody

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Favorite NON-Basketball moment at Moody

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am

figured since there have been some fun stories over on the football board, and there's not much to really talk about i thought i'd share a little anecdote from my younger, dumber & drunker years.

First let me say that this was not by any means my proudest moment, and if it had occurred in the current collegiate/greek/sensitive environment we live in, I probably wouldn't have finished my studies at SMU. It might even identify me to anyone who's heard the story, but oh well, i think most people on here know me anyway.

So, after a few too many drinks at the Green Elephant to get the day started (now the Barley House for you whipper snappers) and a trip to the liquor store, a pit stop to have a few more drinks, and another flask went in my trusty red wing boot to smuggle into Moody. Mind you, i liked to make the occasional wager on sports back then (this plays in later). I was with a couple brothers of The Order, and we were a little verbally abusive(i prefer "passionate fans" but that's splitting hairs) in the first half, so after being removed from Moody for Public Intox, and issued a warning, i quickly ran and changed shirts and put on jeans and returned to the game (and to the 32oz Beam & RC cola that i had hidden under the bleachers before i was nabbed). stayed to the end, and in a time out w/ about 30 seconds to go, CSU was up by about 7 (and i had SMU +5) i felt compelled to swiftly make my way into their huddle on the court and explain to them that i was fine with them winning, but would it be possible to only win by 4 or less.

that didn't go over well w/ the CSU coach, or the SMU Security (i think it was officer Norris), and my earlier warning turned into a student affairs incident. earned me some hours in the SMU Print Shop, and a letter of apology to the CSU coach (i think it was Ritchie McKay - i really wish i had saved a copy of the letter) but the whole thing luckily was swept under the rug and I have a fun story to tell my kids someday, AFTER they graduate college. 8)
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Favorite NON-Basketball moment at Moody

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

Dutch wrote:figured since there have been some fun stories over on the football board, and there's not much to really talk about i thought i'd share a little anecdote from my younger, dumber & drunker years.

First let me say that this was not by any means my proudest moment, and if it had occurred in the current collegiate/greek/sensitive environment we live in, I probably wouldn't have finished my studies at SMU. It might even identify me to anyone who's heard the story, but oh well, i think most people on here know me anyway.

So, after a few too many drinks at the Green Elephant to get the day started (now the Barley House for you whipper snappers) and a trip to the liquor store, a pit stop to have a few more drinks, and another flask went in my trusty red wing boot to smuggle into Moody. Mind you, i liked to make the occasional wager on sports back then (this plays in later). I was with a couple brothers of The Order, and we were a little verbally abusive(i prefer "passionate fans" but that's splitting hairs) in the first half, so after being removed from Moody for Public Intox, and issued a warning, i quickly ran and changed shirts and put on jeans and returned to the game (and to the 32oz Beam & RC cola that i had hidden under the bleachers before i was nabbed). stayed to the end, and in a time out w/ about 30 seconds to go, CSU was up by about 7 (and i had SMU +5) i felt compelled to swiftly make my way into their huddle on the court and explain to them that i was fine with them winning, but would it be possible to only win by 4 or less.

that didn't go over well w/ the CSU coach, or the SMU Security (i think it was officer Norris), and my earlier warning turned into a student affairs incident. earned me some hours in the SMU Print Shop, and a letter of apology to the CSU coach (i think it was Ritchie McKay - i really wish i had saved a copy of the letter) but the whole thing luckily was swept under the rug and I have a fun story to tell my kids someday, AFTER they graduate college. 8)

I don't know when the saying first started but...Wheat and Barley
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby smusportspage » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:32 am

That's awesome Dutch. You showed great tenacity. Impressive! While I guess it is basketball related, one of my favorite Moody moments was John Shumate's hard hand shake to the opposing coach after the game. Can't remember who the recipient of that hard handshake was though.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:36 am

smusportspage wrote:That's awesome Dutch. You showed great tenacity. Impressive! While I guess it is basketball related, one of my favorite Moody moments was John Shumate's hard hand shake to the opposing coach after the game. Can't remember who the recipient of that hard handshake was though.

Tom Penders.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusportspage » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 am

Wish I could of have been at these concerts at Moody they would be my favorite NON-Basketball moments: Jimi Hendrix (1968); YES (1976); Genesis (1977); Grateful Dead (1977); REM (1987). Probably others too. I say bring on more concerts to New Moody!
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 am

Pearl Jam - 1993
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:22 am

smusportspage wrote:Wish I could of have been at these concerts at Moody they would be my favorite NON-Basketball moments: Jimi Hendrix (1968); YES (1976); Genesis (1977); Grateful Dead (1977); REM (1987). Probably others too. I say bring on more concerts to New Moody!

not to sidetrack, but how awesome would Dead have been at the McFarlan Auditorium show in 69. I did get to see George Clinton/parliment at McFarlan when i was in school.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 am

1969 was a good year for Moody evidently, also hosted The Rolling Stones. How great is that!
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 am

Wow, The Who, Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull and Queen also played there in the 70's. Great decade for Moody!
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:08 pm

gotta remember, reunion arena wasn't built until 1980, so there weren't many options for concert venues around that size. maybe bronco bowl? but it's considerably smaller than moody.
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stl.pony » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Made a thread about a year ago on another board about concerts that have been held at Moody. Lot of crazy names.
stl.pony
Junior Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:53 pm

graduation in Moody. Diploma in Hyer I believe...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby digman52 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Was at Hillcrest High School in '68, and took my date from WT White to see the Rolling Stones at Moody. About an hour into Chuck Berry's performance ( early band) they announced the Rolling Stones plane was delayed, and Chuck would keep on performing.

Crowd was cranking by the time Dirty Mick and the boys got there.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:29 pm

REM 1987
ponyboy

Postby PonySnob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:REM 1987

That was a great show!
Peruna is my mascot!