PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Local Buzz

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Local Buzz

Postby couch 'em » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:10 am

Swung by waffle house in Addison to get some food to go (I'm not proud....but sometimes it's OK) and overheard some guys talking SMU. That used to NEVER happen. Good sign.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Local Buzz

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:14 am

Waffle houses are great. Best food for the buck.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:23 am

I wear SMU shirts on the weekends and people give me props on Basketball and the job Morris has done for Fball so far. Also the "what a bs call" I get from ppl that stop me when I walk past them makes me feel good and that we are doing it the right way. Go Ponies!
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:24 pm

At my 'old geezers' fitness club in Austin, I wear SMU gear to workout in all the time and have had many comments about "you have a very good bball team - once you're football team ever gets good, we hope to see you in the Big12 . . . I remember watching them when they were good". They only have hope because of bball but fball is clearly the driver. I tell them, well, our fball will be good again very soon so watch out! :-)
ojaipony

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:43 pm

My 30ish year old insurance agent here in Austin went on and on about Morris the other day. Knew his bio better than myself and said that SMU made the best hire of the offseason. Said he didn't know why someone hadn't snatched Morris before us and there was a hint of Charlie Strong regret in his statements. Interesting considering SMU gets near zero attention from the local media down here.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Local Buzz

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Tons more people wearing smu stuff around town. Its pretty significant
GiddyUp

Postby ponyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Had a nice long conversation with the manager at a pizza joint on Lovers last night. I was wearing an SMU UA polo and he commented on "the shot"
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:48 am

Stopped in a C-store to get water - was wearing a Mustang Mania t-shirt - the cashier asked in very broken English, "was it goaltending?"
Bergermeister

Postby fan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Stopped in a C-store to get water - was wearing a Mustang Mania t-shirt - the cashier asked in very broken English, "was it goaltending?"

Had the same response pumping gas the other day. Got multiple "we" got robbed from folks including one wearing a sang ags t-shirt. I just smiled and gave a pony ears sign.

Stallion and Hoopmanx can battle it out on this forum for who is the better fan but the bottom line is that "we" are whoever is supporting the team. I've lived in SEC towns where the biggest boosters were those who didn't even attend that school (or even graduate college for that matter). Dallas is a winners town and the more t-shirt fans we have the better.
fan
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 pm

"We" is the most powerful word in sports. When you get your community to adopt you is when you have value to a network (and after that, to a conference).

We need to blanket this town in billboards, banners, advertising, etc..to connect SMU to Dallas. Commit to it for at least five years - you can't just do a year - it needs to be a program connected to Chad. we are fun, upbeat, welcoming, texan and ultimately - winners. Get on board and hang on.

Thats the message.
gostangs

Postby fan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Marketing is good. Winning is better.

This is going to [deleted] some people off but I think we have have a much better opportunity in the hoops department than pigskin to gain a permanent fan base.
fan
Varsity

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:23 pm

fan wrote:Marketing is good. Winning is better.

This is going to [deleted] some people off but I think we have have a much better opportunity in the hoops department than pigskin to gain a permanent fan base.

given where we are at currently, it's hard to argue with this. but give football a few years. momentum could catch up.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Local Buzz

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Dave and Busters had the Mustang logo on the sign facing Central. No big deal except there was no sporting events going on. Thought to myself SMU has made it when you see random businesses around Dallas promoting SMU with no big games or events going on.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Treadway21 wrote:Dave and Busters had the Mustang logo on the sign facing Central. No big deal except there was no sporting events going on. Thought to myself SMU has made it when you see random businesses around Dallas promoting SMU with no big games or events going on.

I always get totally fired up when I see that sign at D&B.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:40 pm

fan wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:Stopped in a C-store to get water - was wearing a Mustang Mania t-shirt - the cashier asked in very broken English, "was it goaltending?"

Had the same response pumping gas the other day. Got multiple "we" got robbed from folks including one wearing a sang ags t-shirt. I just smiled and gave a pony ears sign.

Stallion and Hoopmanx can battle it out on this forum for who is the better fan but the bottom line is that "we" are whoever is supporting the team. I've lived in SEC towns where the biggest boosters were those who didn't even attend that school (or even graduate college for that matter). Dallas is a winners town and the more t-shirt fans we have the better.

I never understand the t-shirt fan sentiment. Other than adding a few bucks via apparel, how do they ad revenue to the program? Better TV ratings? It's not like there are too many seats in Moody and Morris is what, maybe 3 years from being decent? If SMU is relying on tshirt fans to fill Ford, we're screwed.

I certainly appreciate local businesses backing the product and locals paying more attention, just don't see tshirt fans as something we need w/a 7k hoops arena
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball