PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Local Buzz

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Local Buzz

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:34 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
fan wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:Stopped in a C-store to get water - was wearing a Mustang Mania t-shirt - the cashier asked in very broken English, "was it goaltending?"

Had the same response pumping gas the other day. Got multiple "we" got robbed from folks including one wearing a sang ags t-shirt. I just smiled and gave a pony ears sign.

Stallion and Hoopmanx can battle it out on this forum for who is the better fan but the bottom line is that "we" are whoever is supporting the team. I've lived in SEC towns where the biggest boosters were those who didn't even attend that school (or even graduate college for that matter). Dallas is a winners town and the more t-shirt fans we have the better.

I never understand the t-shirt fan sentiment. Other than adding a few bucks via apparel, how do they ad revenue to the program? Better TV ratings? It's not like there are too many seats in Moody and Morris is what, maybe 3 years from being decent? If SMU is relying on tshirt fans to fill Ford, we're screwed.

I certainly appreciate local businesses backing the product and locals paying more attention, just don't see tshirt fans as something we need w/a 7k hoops arena

Need them more in football than basketball for sure
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Tshirt fans = better tv ratings and it bleeds into other sports as well
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I think winning and being relevant draws eyes to TVs whethe they cheer for SMU or not. Non-affiliated fans watch big games more than individual programs. Just be good
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RebStang » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
fan wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:Stopped in a C-store to get water - was wearing a Mustang Mania t-shirt - the cashier asked in very broken English, "was it goaltending?"

Had the same response pumping gas the other day. Got multiple "we" got robbed from folks including one wearing a sang ags t-shirt. I just smiled and gave a pony ears sign.

Stallion and Hoopmanx can battle it out on this forum for who is the better fan but the bottom line is that "we" are whoever is supporting the team. I've lived in SEC towns where the biggest boosters were those who didn't even attend that school (or even graduate college for that matter). Dallas is a winners town and the more t-shirt fans we have the better.

I never understand the t-shirt fan sentiment. Other than adding a few bucks via apparel, how do they ad revenue to the program? Better TV ratings? It's not like there are too many seats in Moody and Morris is what, maybe 3 years from being decent? If SMU is relying on tshirt fans to fill Ford, we're screwed.

I certainly appreciate local businesses backing the product and locals paying more attention, just don't see tshirt fans as something we need w/a 7k hoops arena

Apparel sales are about more than adding a few dollars to the budget through licensing. Apparel sales, along with other factors, drive the amount that Nike, etc are willing to provide in 'allowance' for uniforms, equipment, etc.

As an example, prior to 2012, Ole Miss only got about $750,000 a year in 'allowances' from Nike and spent approximately $1.1 million above that for uniforms, apparel, etc for players, coaches, and staff. Their new contract is for just under $2.1 million meaning that Nike is paying for alternate uniforms, etc instead of the athletic department.

In this era of huge athletic budgets, that doesn't seem like a lot but it does matter. Most athletic departments, even some of the bigger ones, either operate at an annual loss or break even. If you can get Nike or Under Armour or Adidas to give a bigger allowance for uniforms and equipment, you get to use the money you previously spent on that stuff on important things like coaches' salaries, recruiting budgets, new overhead projectors, etc.
RebStang
All-American

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

and drones
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Yes...we are definitely in a position to question anyone who might want to associate themselves with our overall athletics performance. Damn you, guy who might decide to bring his two kids to a football this season, thus increasing our overall attendance average over last year by 5% with that single selfish act!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SMU1523 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:15 pm

The more fans the better. You know you made it when the majority of your fan base didn't attend your school.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:43 am

Loved playing golf this winter and guys asking who 'we' are playing this week. Major change in perception.
smusic 00

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:13 pm

RebStang wrote:Apparel sales are about more than adding a few dollars to the budget through licensing. Apparel sales, along with other factors, drive the amount that Nike, etc are willing to provide in 'allowance' for uniforms, equipment, etc.

As an example, prior to 2012, Ole Miss only got about $750,000 a year in 'allowances' from Nike and spent approximately $1.1 million above that for uniforms, apparel, etc for players, coaches, and staff. Their new contract is for just under $2.1 million meaning that Nike is paying for alternate uniforms, etc instead of the athletic department.

In this era of huge athletic budgets, that doesn't seem like a lot but it does matter. Most athletic departments, even some of the bigger ones, either operate at an annual loss or break even. If you can get Nike or Under Armour or Adidas to give a bigger allowance for uniforms and equipment, you get to use the money you previously spent on that stuff on important things like coaches' salaries, recruiting budgets, new overhead projectors, etc.

I spent eons in that industry and outside apparel sales are only a tiny factor in determining a schools athletic budget. There are more than a few mitigating factors.

Hoops is all messed up b/c all the marquee coaches make huge coin through their apparel contracts. In many cases, those figures go towards salaries and most all bball camps go towards spiffing the assistants etc. Facility upgrades and improvements tend to come from alumni giving
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 pm

So I am waiting to play at beer league softball (with SMU hat on) and some guy with a TCU shirt is already drunk says F SMU. A total stranger says at least its not that S Hole TCU and their sports are about to become backseat to SMU. I joked with them and the stranger said he hadn't felt that way until last year and feels Morris will ignite a sleeping giant.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Did you punch the frog?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:11 am

Junior wrote:Did you punch the frog?

Threw him out to end the game...?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Junior » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:17 pm

It's funny, but none of my Frog friends have anything but good things to say about us. But I'm sure there are aholes out there.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Played golf with a big froggie fan/ex-player who didn't even know we had hired a new coach. We are truly at a different level now.
smusic 00

Postby ojaipony » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 am

Junior wrote:It's funny, but none of my Frog friends have anything but good things to say about us. But I'm sure there are aholes out there.

They will become so when we start being consistently competitive/beating them in football.

BTW, I got cut off in traffic and damn near crashed my car with my 8 year old in the backseat driving in Austin over the weekend. I had a good view of the back of the [deleted] car and it had TCU alumn/frogs all over it. It took all I could muster to let it go and not go hunt the sumbeetch down.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball