PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Local Buzz

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Local Buzz

Postby coloradoStang » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:Peticolas, Community, & Lakewood are much more consistent and overall 'better' products.

Agree

Has anyone tried the new brewery in Deep Ellum? Blanking on the name, and no it's not the same as Deep Ellum brewery

Braindead will start selling their beer in May. Right now it's 25 craft Taps and a pretty amazing food menu. Worth a trip, right across from Pecan Lodge. Tons of seating inside and outside.

seconded. went during the arts festival
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:28 pm

couch 'em wrote:Why is Franconia always excluded?

If Europe is the example then we are nowhere near saturation on local breweries

His insistence on German only styles and following the purity law probably hurts. American craft is its own thing. Plus it doesn't taste that great imho.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:33 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
couch 'em wrote:Why is Franconia always excluded?

If Europe is the example then we are nowhere near saturation on local breweries

His insistence on German only styles and following the purity law probably hurts. American craft is its own thing. Plus it doesn't taste that great imho.

He has the dunkle and the winter warmer which are great. Enduring else is blah. To me that puts him on par with deep ellum rahr and four corners at least. But of course it is all opinion. These days I am a fan of Lakewood - solid and drinkable. I don't drink enough any more to handle the high alcohol nuclear bombs at Peticolas.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:29 am

How many of these places are just microbrews, not craft brewery's? How many have legit distribution or is all about getting folks to eat/drink on site?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:51 am

After having spent a lot of time looking at launching a brewery, Texas is NO WAY near the saturation point. As others have pointed out look to Colorado, Oregon, Washington, California, etc. We (Texas) have one of the lowest breweries per capita in the US (when I was doing my research we were in the high 40s). Some laws have changed recently in Texas that will help the expansion of micro breweries, but we as a state have a long way to go.

As for the distribution. You can make a hell of a profit margin just selling food and having people come to your place to drink. Assumption is that you can get people to come in. Distribution actually starts eating a lot of margin for you, better to self distribute early (again some laws come into play when you start doing this) until you get big enough to be picked up by a large distributor. Karbach in Houston ran this model beautifully (they use to be a distributor so that help them self distribute early on) and they will soon be Houston's largest brewer, IMHO. They also make the best beer in Houston.

Love me some beer talk!
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am

I get what you're saying, but distro and product placement represents the ceiling of the product, which costs, but also is where the real money is. Microbrews are just restaurants, no higher or lower a ceiling, until you franchise(see Gordon Biersch). That's a ton of overhead/personnel just to drop restaurant after restaurant etc
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:36 pm

The big beer names in Dallas are actual brewers that distribute, not the microbreweries or pubs.
The new place in Deep Ellum is the first micropub that's popped up in the recent wave that I can think of.
skyscraper

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

skyscraper wrote:The big beer names in Dallas are actual brewers that distribute, not the microbreweries or pubs.
The new place in Deep Ellum is the first micropub that's popped up in the recent wave that I can think of.

Gotcha. We're getting a mix up here in South Carolina, especially since the Stone Law went into effect.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Found at Krogers
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby couch 'em » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Case in point - I'm at the Padres game in San Diego, and there are easily 30+ different craft beers for sale here. Every beer stand and concession has numerous craft selections. We aren't 50% there yet in Dallas
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Previous

Return to Basketball