PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dave Bliss gets college HC gig

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Dave Bliss gets college HC gig

Postby smoodtwice » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Unfortunately for Coach Bliss, controversy related to recruiting violations has not stopped following him since 2005. He had recruiting issues at a private school in Bryan after his supposed repentance. Violations include allegations of impermissible tuition reductions and an acknowledgment that Bliss forged the school head's signature on a form to expedite paperwork.

Dave Bliss HS Recruiting Allegations
“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.” ― George F. Will
smoodtwice
Scout Team

Postby mr. pony » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:29 am

Digetydog wrote:Only Sandusky had a college coaching scandal even close to Bliss' fiasco. #[deleted]

You got it backwards. (And NOTHING comes close to Sandusky.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:42 am

gostangs wrote:so people can't ever overcome their mistakes? Ever? I bet there are people in your life that have forgiven you of things they didn't have to forgive.

I can forgive a drug addict, but I would not give him the keys to a pharmacy.

While Bliss may feel genuine sorrow for what he did, it doesn't change the fact that he can't be trusted to lead young men.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:30 am

I believe his redemption about as much as I believe TV faith healers. BE HEALED!

"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:59 am

Whether or not you believe he is truly remorseful, the fact that we live in a forgiving society is a great thing.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Digetydog wrote:
gostangs wrote:so people can't ever overcome their mistakes? Ever? I bet there are people in your life that have forgiven you of things they didn't have to forgive.

I can forgive a drug addict, but I would not give him the keys to a pharmacy.

While Bliss may feel genuine sorrow for what he did, it doesn't change the fact that he can't be trusted to lead young men.

Right you are. I would not let Sandusky coach my kid no matter how much he repented.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:06 pm

couch 'em wrote:I believe his redemption about as much as I believe TV faith healers. BE HEALED!

This seems to be a real touch point for you over the years, as evidenced by your apparent assumption that televangists are a good data point for what vital Christian faith is about. They are as far from Christ as a Las Vegas wedding chapel is from the Sistine Chapel. I'd urge you to study up a bit more before making further comment on the subject. Tim Keller's _The Reason for God_ is a good starting point.
ponyboy

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:57 pm

And you seem to always use your faith to justify your pony fan opinions, which is odd to many people.
smusic 00

Postby skyscraper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:18 pm

If Bliss has truly reformed, then good for him personally. Who really knows.
But like others have said, I would never let him coach any age level again.
skyscraper

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:26 pm

ponyboy wrote:They are as far from Christ as a Las Vegas wedding chapel is from the Sistine Chapel.

To be fair, they'd probably say the same about you.

I'm amazed he was able to get another college coaching job, but, since I doubt he could repeat any of his past transgressions, I guess it's not really a big deal.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:27 pm

The comparisons to Sandusky sticking his junk in kids repeatedly is pretty big leap. He covered up a murder, attempted to frame a guy and keep his program in tact. Pretty awful calls under extreme duress, but those are pretty over the top circumstances. That's pretty different than cheating to get kids in school, faking transcripts or paying players. He shouldn't be allowed to coach, but he's not on the same planet as Sandusky.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm

hoopmanx wrote:The comparisons to Sandusky sticking his junk in kids repeatedly is pretty big leap. He covered up a murder, attempted to frame a guy and keep his program in tact. Pretty awful calls under extreme duress, but those are pretty over the top circumstances. That's pretty different than cheating to get kids in school, faking transcripts or paying players. He shouldn't be allowed to coach, but he's not on the same planet as Sandusky.

Covered up a murder, attempted to frame a guy and keep his program intact, paid players, etc etc etc.

But you are right, Sandusky isn't comparable at all. Sandusky is on a completely different level of awful.
CalallenStang

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:38 pm

smusic 00 wrote:And you seem to always use your faith to justify your pony fan opinions, which is odd to many people.

I'm not sure I use my faith to justify many of my opinions on here, but it does permeate my thinking and I'm not afraid to speak of it publicly. Former SMU coach Dave Bliss' story is inspiring and I wish him nothing but the best.
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:44 pm

ponyboy wrote:
couch 'em wrote:I believe his redemption about as much as I believe TV faith healers. BE HEALED!

This seems to be a real touch point for you over the years, as evidenced by your apparent assumption that televangists are a good data point for what vital Christian faith is about. They are as far from Christ as a Las Vegas wedding chapel is from the Sistine Chapel. I'd urge you to study up a bit more before making further comment on the subject. Tim Keller's _The Reason for God_ is a good starting point.

What're you talking about? It's a data point for a charlatan or someone who uses faith as a tool to exploit people. Like Peter Popoff, proven fraud who 'repented' and now bilks desperate people out of money.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 am

Man, I apparently don't know Dave Bliss as well as you do.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball