PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement's post game comments

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement's post game comments

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:10 am

He was not a happy camper. Reacted tersely to comment that 3 pt defense was poor. His comment was: "it has been all year. We've preached it, coached 'em, watched film, but it comes down to the kids have to want to play defense". He went on to say: "I don't know if they're looking forward to spring break, or what". He also talked about our guys having not responded when Fresno started hitting some shots. Talked about missed lay-ups, missed 6 footers, etc...

This raises a question: do SMU athletes tend to lose a little "heart" after coming here? Does being around a student body with a bunch of kids who, for the most part, have had everything easy and never had to work very hard for anything...does that rub off on our student athletes and affect their play? While Dement didn't come out and say it, that was the tone I heard.

Interesting. Anyone else hear those comments and have the same reaction?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Dement's post game comments

Postby ponybutt » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:34 am

Sounds like a very frustrated coach. Q and Bhop can't carry everyone. Simpson has been there and at times Castro, but Isham to me is a question. Isham might be our most athletic player, yet he doesn't take control like I think he could.

Bhop, although he was thought to be the solution, seems to be getting tired. Peolple need to remember that he has been injured and is just now getting back to form. Now Bhop looks like he is hitting the "freshman roadblock".

This team has so much promise that I don't know why they are not performing.
ponybutt
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:52 am

well it sure didn't seem to bother SMU in the 1980s when we had a much less diverse student body.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby The CPC » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:51 am

Its ineresting CP, because CPC was having similar thoughts earlier this afternoon, several hours before the mens game. Watching the Lady Mustangs blow their lead against Fresno, continuing a collapse that will kill what had been a promising season, CPC had to wonder what had happened to this team? Why did a group that was capable of beating Oklahoma and taking La. Tech to the wire seem to play hard one minute, then have a long stretch where they seemed to be unfocused and simply going through the motions? CPC doesnt know if this is the answer, he must admit to being thoroughly confused and confustigated by things he has seen this year, but it was a thought that crossed his mind, even before Mike Dement said anything.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:58 pm

How many times have we read in the paper or heard on the radio when he snaps at reporters who ask questions? They're doing their job. This team hasn't defended the 3 well all year. North Texas came into Moody at the end of December and they had a little guard who hit a million 3s. If we're still not getting out and pressuring the 3 and contesting shots from behind the stripe, at some point that's got to come back to the coaching.

This is a little prehistoric, maybe, but make the kids run stairs every time their man shoots a 3. Not just makes a 3, but gets one off. I guarantee that after a few guys blow chow in the bleachers, they'll defend the 3-point line like their homes are being invaded.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:12 pm

Charleston, I know you dont get to see many games from where you live. As much as I hate to see a blowout like last night, I wasnt surprised. Fresno's strength and leaping ability was far and away above SMU when they came to Moody. SMU scrambled to stay in that game, and the homecourt helped alot even though you dont think we have much of a homecourt ad. Last night, Fresno was coming off a home loss to La Tech and played real aggressive like Dement and everybody else knew they would. I didnt see the game obviously, but when a stronger team is also the aggressor, you usually get a lopsided game. The Tulsa game decides the fate of this season to me, because after getting whipped, SMU should be the ones out for blood at home. As for the speculation about our student body, I think we all wonder about that. But, it never seemed to bother Georgetown under John Thompson. Duke either obviously. Miami is a very expensive school and football doesnt suffer to say the least.
Hoop Fan

Postby Higher Authority » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:21 pm

"Miami is a very expensive school and football doesnt suffer to say the least."

Two words: Pell Grants

Tons of Miami players mysteriously qualified for them when the 'Canes were on their way to the top. Now the program recruits itself.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Return to Basketball