PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cuban not a fan of the college game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cuban not a fan of the college game

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:07 pm

lwjr wrote:I understand his point and like Hoopmanx said, if I owned a NBA team I would say the same.
Having said that, it seems it is hard for a player to develop on the college level if he is a one and done player.
I also dislike the NBA game because it has become a league of individual players and not a team game. There are exceptions, the Spurs and a couple of others. I believe most of the professional leagues have become very sterile. Just my opinion

the value of the the NBA is the watching the incredible individuals in a team game. To me that speaks volumes about the product. I'd never go to a college game to see one player, just a completely different mentality.

In AAU, the most ridiculous thing you'll hear over and over all summer is "do him' coming from parents. That's all the NBA is
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Cuban not a fan of the college game

Postby lwjr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Hoopmanx, I do appreciate the incredible talent of the pros. You can not really appreciate it unless you attend a game in person., in my opinion. I attended a Spurs game four ago and was fortunate enough to sit on the floor. I was amazed how well the big players move on court. Watching Tim Duncan run the floor and move around like he was a point guard left my jaw on the ground.
Over all I just don't enjoy watching the NBA anymore. I prefer the college game and the college environment
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 pm

To me there's just something artificial and contrived about the NBA -- or really all professional sports. College is a more pure game, IMO.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm

ponyboy wrote:To me there's just something artificial and contrived about the NBA -- or really all professional sports. College is a more pure game, IMO.

Yeah, you see a 25-point game in the 3rd and you know it's going to end up close.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:01 pm

I love the NBA if only b/c it has the best players in the world. That said, it's a really emotionless product w/mostly cheesy gameday environments.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am

hoopmanx wrote:I love the NBA if only b/c it has the best players in the world. That said, it's a really emotionless product w/mostly cheesy gameday environments.

That pretty much sums up my experience at NBA games. The crowd typically seems so detached from the game almost as if we're not all really there... until it gets close near the end.

Isolation play after play and constant kickouts to the 3 point line are what bug me about the NBA. It's clearly not a bad strategy (e.g. Houston), but it doesn't make a compelling product.

The times when I enjoy watching our team the most are on those plays where we bring a post up high and run a backdoor cut to a guard for a dunk or layup. Those types of plays that require crisp passes from multiple people to make it work are fun to watch (to me).
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby coloradoStang » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:43 am

I think Mavs games are super cheesy. But I still like to go
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:02 am

I love the NBA game. You have the greatest athletes in the world battling nightly. But I agree the cheesy part of the game presentation takes away from the game - I've complained more than once to Cuban about the Mav's PA guy. He is unbearable at times but I still love going to the games.

BTW, even if you're not a big basketball fan, watching Steph Curry last night was about as good as it gets.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm

The NBA clearly features the best basketball players in the world so there is and always been a reason to watch. The problem with the NBA right now, and why I prefer college basketball comes from what is often described as the star system. Because of the rule at the NBA level the games are predominately played as a one on one pick and roll set up for 90% of the offensive possessions. This highlights the stars (mostly guards or over sized guards (like LBJ and Durant)) and makes the game primarily about who can beat their guy on a dribble and the occasional kick out 3. There is very little team offense any more. Also because it is a star system I think it kills the attitude of the teams. Stars are always yapping about calls, posing after making a play, complaining about travel schedules, and the overall effort of the team is lowered as it's just about whose star players is playing better or is more fresh ect.

At the college level you don't really have that many single players who can take over a game consistently so it is more about offensive systems and countering offenses with different looks on defense. The effort is always there and you can really see interesting approaches to solving basketball problems and creating problems for your opponent.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 pm

the biggest problem with the college game is that nobody can hit wide open jump shots-and I'm not talking about tough defense-I'm talking about wide open jumpers and free throw shooting. That's is coaching and that is a failure of the high school/club coaches. Watching Larry's offense isn't boring. I love to watch tough defense and rebounding at the rim-but if I had to watch UH jack up 40 3 point shots hitting 28% every game while never penetrating the perimeter I'd never go to another game. Way too much perimeter passing and I think it was particularly bad in the AAC last year. In the prior year 2013-2014 the AAC had a wealth of penetrating PGs which made for better basketball
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Nacho » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

nba is rigged.
Nacho

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:58 pm

College just needs to get rid of the zone defense and shorten the shot clock. Also, adapting rules like college baseball where a player can go pro out of high school but if they go to college they've got to stick around a few years would be beneficial for just about everyone.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Nacho wrote:nba is rigged.

I don't get the attraction of the NBA at all. I don't think it is much of a secret that the superstars get preferential treatment by the refs as the whole league business model is built around glorification of its top dozen or so players. For me it is pretty much unwatchable.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:08 pm

It's sports entertainment to highlight the athletic greatness of the best players. But it sells. Just like football. Big passing plays sell. Rugby team action does not
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Previous

Return to Basketball