PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Home and Home

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU Home and Home

Postby smusportspage » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am

"just down right curb stomp their [deleted]/embarrass them completely at Moody/Ford."

Exactly. I like it! :)
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Zman89 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:58 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:
Zman89 wrote:I say schedule Notre Dame so that Nic can have a true homecoming. I.U. was not a homecoming.

I would love that. Have we ever played ND in hoops?

Kato accomplished something Nic hasn't......yet

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-03-18/sports/8803010767_1_irish-coach-digger-phelps-smu-gary-voce

Given a choice between any ACC team or TCU, I'd take the ACC, I think it's better for our program. Same can be said for most PAC12 schools.

What does Kato have to do with the statement?
Zman89
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 am

Would think that Larry could somehow negotiate a H and H with UNC, Kansas or Villanova.

TCU will still be in Football season mode at the time we play them. SMU fans will be in Basketball mode by then. I predict that there will be a lot of red in that new dump.

Will they be serving Beer at Moody West?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am

Larry refuses to play his friends in non-tournament games
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

hoopmanx wrote:1) There are no traditional rivalries anymore, just games that help the program achieve greater heights. Blame realignment

2) I'm not a fball guy, but enjoy the sport. I have a hard time see us EVER being a Top 25 program, so I see no reason to hurt our bread and butter, to help build a dormant revenue that may never amount to anything. Capitalize on what's working, dump money there.

4) They aren't a tune up, they have real talent. They also do nothing for us if we win, but is horrible loss if we lose. It's a no win situation

5) Problem is, doesn't seem like most want to come to Moody. Its far too small/volatile and we're far too good for most profile programs to take that on. The fact we have Michigan and Gonzaga coming in is stunning

You really think Duke v UNC, Kentucky v Louisville, Georgetown v Syracuse don't mean anything?
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:40 pm

smupony94 wrote:Larry refuses to play his friends in non-tournament games

Forgive me. I forgot...we are talking about the Godfather...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:41 pm

UCLA vs. USC, Stanford vs. Cal, UT vs. OU, UT vs. A&M, Michigan vs. Ohio St.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:28 pm

SMU is not a basketball school and will never be one. Football is where the future (read moving into a power conference) and where we need to get serious. Basketball is a nice distraction while we get there on the gridiron. And don't get me wrong I admire our bb team and want us to remain ranked and successful regardless.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 pm

Pony Boss wrote:SMU is not a basketball school and will never be one.

Ignorant and false statement.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:40 pm

I think its at least likely true-the major conferences are going to continue to leverage their control over college sports to push out smaller schools and conferences to less desireable conferences/TV networks. Higher TV/Conference revenue (which leads to bigger salaries and facilities), higher stipends and cost of attendance distributions are going to be hard to match.

Over the next 10 years we are going to find out the commitment tolerance of a bunch of schools and those schools willing to pay the price IN FOOTBALL will continue to conglomerate with similar schools. Basketball plays a minimal role in the equation. This is the nature of monopolist, anti-competitive commercial conduct-market power restricts not only the "relevant market" (college football) but also related products as well (college basketball and other sports). See Apple which uses its market power over one product to leverage market power over future products or other markets. Marquette wasn't willing to pay Buzz Williams what Virginia Tech was offering even though the Marquette program was the historically better program. SMU used to be the No. 1 school in Texas for Country Club sports but now Big 12 schools TCU and especially Baylor are killing us.

Now if SMU was in the Eastern part of the country maybe there would be a chance to align with the one non-football power conference-but that is logistically impossible for SMU. SMU's future lies in affiliating with the strongest football conference as possible-Basketball will benefit as well just as it did when SMU got a bid to the original Big East. A better conference affiliation was an obvious stimulant to improving the SMU Basketball program.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:55 pm

^Creighton sure is up east
CalallenStang

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 pm

There is nothing wrong admitting what you are and aren't. We have basically nothing in common w/football powers other than being in football crazed Texas. We all know what moves the dial, but it isn't keeping a lot of privates, more closely aligned w/us, from achieving hoops prominence.

I have no idea if our commitment to football makes sense, but I hope it works out. In the meantime, our only short to mid term hope for revenue relevance is hoops.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:51 am

Why is my statement ignorant and false? And what do you mean nothing in common with football powers? What do Baylor and TCU have in common with the "football powers" in Texas? That they have real coaches, they win and are in the Big 12? We are no different from the Texas privates and I prefer we go the TCU/Baylor route instead of the Creighton/Gonzaga route.

It is shameful we have had coaches that haven't been able to attract talented football players. Let the staff do their job; we came in 1-11 and still recruited a way better class than June ever recruited here in 6 years (real athletes, speed and size). Once we get this thing rolling and you see the response from the alums, students and the community, we will finally have a football program that we can be proud of and a solid basketball presence in the best midmajor conference available, with P5 level tv coverage (alas money not p5 but coverage sure is). Focus on doing the right things and building on our strengths. We have way to much talent in DFW to not be top 30 in the country, and a easier path to a NY6 bowl being in the American. Pony up and get to the spring game!
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Zman89,

LA asked if SMU had ever played ND in hoops.

SMU's only NCAA tourney win in almost 30 years was against ND.

Kato Armstrong, one of my all-time favorite players, was the PG on that team. He destroyed the Irish that night.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:43 pm

CalallenStang wrote:^Creighton sure is up east

If Creighton is the best you can come up with, you are totally proving Stallion's point.

10 years from now, you can have Player X choose Creighton while Player Y chooses TCU, a lower-rung P5 basketball school.

During these 2 players 4 years of attending their respective schools, the P5 school TCU could conceivably earn one quarter of a BILLION dollars more than the non-P5 school Creighton.

Tell me again how Creighton competes?
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball