PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Home and Home

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU Home and Home

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Stallion wrote:when is the last time Hoopmanx ever went to an SMU game-who cares what he thinks

LOL, most of SMUs 'fans' don't live close enough to attend games. It's a private school that draws from both coasts. Got news, those off either coast don't tend to stay in landlocked Texas.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:22 pm

OK
how many students would rather see SMU play TCU or Wyoming
how many players would rather play TCU or Wyoming
how many alumni would rather see SMU play TCU or Wyoming
Which game gets more publicity?

45 minute bus trip v. cross country flight/hotel expense. That's why we play TCU
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

[quote="Stallion"]OK

Don't care...
Players could care less about TCU
Alumni should want to watch the best possible match-ups for the program
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:35 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:What does this do for us? I don't want to hear tradition or bs rivalry. Tell me what it does to elevate this program given we only have a handful of OOC games to make hay

You may not want to hear rivalry, not sure why, but that absolutely matters. What school would you rather play in TCU's place? I'm sure if Baylor or OU or UNC or name any top team wanted to play us we could make it happen. Plus, TCU is improved. So, there's little to no danger of a resume killing loss. As for elevating the program, that will happen as soon as we win a tournament game or two.

It's not a rivalry to anyone but you guys, I'm not sure how you don't see that. TCU could care less about us right now, cause they are football gold. In TCU's place, give me anyone w/hoops name value. Give me something in a region we need to recruit in, not named Texas. Take the game to Seds backyard and whoop USC if need be. Go to SDSU and get into a real game. Bring back Utah. Grab mid rung ACC team, don't care.

Like I said, if they replace Wyoming, that's a push. If they are in for Indiana or Ark, just wow
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Would love to get SDSU going
smupony94

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 pm

smupony94 wrote:Would love to get SDSU going

That would be non P5 war. It would be great
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:58 pm

hoopmanx wrote:It's not a rivalry to anyone but you guys, I'm not sure how you don't see that. TCU could care less about us right now, cause they are football gold.

I'm not sure who you mean by "you guys?" For a 100 years the two very similar schools separated by 30 miles have played each other yearly in most sports, pulled students from the same pool of applicants and until the past ten years in football, the schools have had similar success in athletics. Walk up to any TCU grad and ask them what they think of SMU. It won't be positive. Wear SMU gear in FW or near the TCU campus and see what kind of comments you get. But maybe you get a better feel for that Where you're at?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 pm

And I would love to play SDSU or USC or Stanford, I just don't think playing TCU keeps us from scheduling these types of matchups. If so, please enlighten me.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby The PonyGrad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:09 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:And I would love to play SDSU or USC or Stanford, I just don't think playing TCU keeps us from scheduling these types of matchups. If so, please enlighten me.

^This
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby mustangxc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:14 pm

hoopmanx wrote:LOL, the answers in this thread are pretty funny. You don't compare a crap power conference team w/scheduling Lamar or UIC, that's not how schedules are made. The only swap out that makes any sense is Wyoming. TCU doesn't help us replace Indiana or Ark. So, if this is our Wyoming, maybe. The tourney we are in Vegas wreaks too. We need 2 or 3 additional heavy hiters

hoopmanx wrote:
Stallion wrote:OK

Don't care...
Players could care less about TCU
Alumni should want to watch the best possible match-ups for the program

You laugh at the suggestion that TCU is a swap out for UIC, Monmouth, and Lamar yet you later say that alumni should want the best possible match ups for the program. I will say it again, give me TCU in place of the latter mentioned teams and I will be very happy with the schedule because I do want the strongest possible schedule and have no issue with scheduling an rpi top 150 team that happens to be our strongest natural rival.
mustangxc

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:25 pm

We're turning something inherently irrational into a rational choice and trying to fit it neatly into a box called "what elevates the program". This is foolish. College sports and allegiances are rarely that rational. I mean, there's an entire fanbase that actually included the words "Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer" in one of their main chants!

Sorry, but you're not going to convince most of any fanbase to forsake playing a school most of us absolutely can't stand and absolutely love beating.

I get it. TCU does absolutely nothing for our basketball resume now (and maybe not ever). And they don't raise the profile of the program. But arguing with SMU fans about whether we SHOULD be playing TCU is stupid. It would be like rooting against apple pie or Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 pm

hoopmanx wrote:It's not a rivalry to anyone but you guys, I'm not sure how you don't see that. TCU could care less about us right now, cause they are football gold. In TCU's place, give me anyone w/hoops name value. Give me something in a region we need to recruit in, not named Texas. Take the game to Seds backyard and whoop USC if need be. Go to SDSU and get into a real game. Bring back Utah. Grab mid rung ACC team, don't care.

Like I said, if they replace Wyoming, that's a push. If they are in for Indiana or Ark, just wow

Good Lord, you're acting as if we just scheduled East Texas Baptist University or something.

A rival that is a close game for our fans to attend on the road in a game we should win. What's the issue other than you want every single game to be against Duke or Kentucky?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:And I would love to play SDSU or USC or Stanford, I just don't think playing TCU keeps us from scheduling these types of matchups. If so, please enlighten me.

^This

Yup yup. Where's your school spirit hoop? You have to have a pony soul in there somewhere...
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MFFL02 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:10 pm

We need to have a top 10 non-conf rpi in the nation. This doesn't help. Schedule Wichita State, Northern Iowa and Butler.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby skyscraper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:29 pm

The underlying assumption of those against this game is that we won't schedule the rest of non-conference properly.
What would make you think that this past season we would do it right but then abruptly stop caring for the upcoming one???
skyscraper

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball