PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charles Beasley: 3 SWC Championships

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Charles Beasley: 3 SWC Championships

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Read that he passed away on Saturday. Have not seen any other reports other than what was in The Dallas Morning News. Watched him play many nights at Moody.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Charles Beasley: 3 SWC Championships

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Probably my first Basketball hero :(
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm

definitely one of the real studs of the Doc Hayes era
Charleston Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Beasley was a classmate and friend from the very first days we set foot on campus. One of my great memories and recollections was a sophomore year World History class in the B school auditorium as I recall. ( I am getting old; Why would that class be in the B School?? ) At any rate, the professor spaced us out so that everyone was 2 rows apart and lined up in rows directly behind one another based on alphabetical order. I was in the front row directly in front of the professor. I was well prepared and took the test without too much concern. Shortly after leaving the auditorium Beasley flagged me down and thanked me several times for helping him pass the test. I was initially stunned as I had not made any effort in any way to do anything other than take the test and leave. He advised that every time I lifted or moved my writing arm on those old lift up desk arms that folded down beside the seat, that he could easily read my answers from 2 rows back. He explained that they had played Arkansas the previous night and did not get back to Dallas until 4 AM and he had not studied. It was at that time that I came to truly appreciate the exceptional vision/peripheral he had which served him so well on the court. After this situation Beasley sat behind me for tests the rest of the semester and he did not study too much. I made it a point there after to watch him closely on the court and his exceptional vision gave him a deadly shot from the corner which today would be a 3 and his outstanding no-look passing. Sad to hear about the loss of one of top tier basketball players in SMU history. A stellar class that also included Denny Holman, Bobby Jones, Bob Beggert.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Charlie was my favorite Mustang player in the 60's . He also played for the Dallas Chapparals in the ABA.
I remember seeing him play against Larry Brown in an ABA game at Moody. I mentioned this to LB a couple
of years ago after BB practice. He responded with a big smile on his face..."Yea I remember Charlie and Denny Holman
chasing me around all night". Denny also played for the Chaps, and I believe that Max Williams was GM at that time.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby lwjr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Remember him playing for the Chaps as well.
RIP Mustang
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Return to Basketball