PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WBB: SMU Adds Three Transfers

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

WBB: SMU Adds Three Transfers

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:29 pm

SMU has added three transfers to the roster. Two will be eligible this season, and one will be eligible in 2016.

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041515aaa.html

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's basketball program added three players to its 2015-16 signing class Wednesday, head coach Rhonda Rompola announced. Kamray Mickens and Ashley Gibson will be eligible to play immediately after playing at two-year institutions, while Klara Bradshaw will be eligible to play during the 2016-17 season after two years at TCU.

Mickens, a 5-8 point guard, averaged 9.3 points per game at Trinity Valley, reaching double figures 18 times in 34 games, including a season-high 22 points. She led Trinity Valley to a third-place finish at the NJCAA tournament, after an eighth straight Region XIV championship.

A former Southlake Carroll standout, Mickens began her career at Boston College before returning to Texas. The Westlake, Texas, native, who is the daughter of former NFL defensive back Ray Mickens, served as a team captain as a junior and senior at Southlake Carroll, and led her team to three district championships. She also ran track at Southlake Carroll.
Gibson was named an NJCAA All-America Honorable Mention after leading Butler Community College with 19.6 points per game as a sophomore. The guard/forward led the Grizzlies to a 58-10 record in two seasons, including the program's first appearance in the national tournament in 2014. Gibson shot 57.9 percent from the field as a sophomore, and eclipsed 20 points 16 times in 30 games, including a season-high 39 points in the region tournament.

A native of Edmond, Okla., Gibson led Deer Creek High School to a 5A State Championship, guiding Deer Creek to a 27-2 record as a senior and a team captain. She earned numerous postseason awards, including 5A State Tournament Most Valuable Player and All-State Tournament First Team.
Bradshaw, a 6-6 center, was named Academic All-Big 12 as a sophomore, and earned Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll accolades as a freshman. The Emory, Texas, native earned Texas Association of Basketball Coaches All-State and All-Region accolades following her senior season at Rains High School. She was also selected for the TGCA All-Star Game, and was named to the Texas Basketball Magazine First Team All-State, while earning unanimous district MVP honors. At TCU, she shot over 45 percent from the field with 71 blocks in 62 games over two seasons.

"All three players will bring much needed experience to our program," Rompola explained. "With so many young players on our roster, the leadership and experience these three talented players bring to the Hilltop will be crucial in getting SMU women's basketball back to the level of success we have come to expect as a program."
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: WBB: SMU Adds Three Transfers

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Well I guess it is one more move to try to hold on to her job.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 pm

Give Dement the ladies team
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony81 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:34 pm

I know UCONN was dominant, but they completely destroyed our women's team.
I hope Rhonda can turn it around.
Whatever happened with that top recruit from the Dallas area whose mother played for Rhonda's? Where did she wind up?
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:49 pm

I believe she is only a junior. Last thing I read is she's likely going to UConn.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyTime » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Former SMU assistant Jon Newlee took his team to the NCAA tournament two of the last three years. (Idaho)
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 pm

reeja wrote:I know UCONN was dominant, but they completely destroyed our women's team.
I hope Rhonda can turn it around.
Whatever happened with that top recruit from the Dallas area whose mother played for Rhonda's? Where did she wind up?

Being "destroyed" is very polite.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Of course, UConn did that to pretty much everyone in the conference. Tripled up Cinci in one game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jimhagle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:17 pm

I like Rhonda but she has never been a very good recruiter and her very best player was a transfer not a recruit.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby MustangStealth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:59 pm

jimhagle wrote:I like Rhonda but she has never been a very good recruiter and her very best player was a transfer not a recruit.

I'm assuming you are referring to Keena Mays?

I would rank her 3rd best player Rhonda has had, after Kennedy and Dodds, who were both 4 year players. I'm not sure what is going on in the last 6 years or so, but it has been a lot of transfers since then.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 pm

For what it's worth, Connecticut went 38-1 in 2014-15 and hammered most of its opponents. Of its 38 victories, 30 were by more than 30 points. Of the eight wins that were decided by fewer than 30 points, four came during the regular season, one in the AAC tournament final and three in the NCAA quarterfinal (Dayton), semifinal (Maryland) and final (Notre Dame).
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Smerkins » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I would focus less on getting killed by UCONN and more on the fact that the team had 3 conference wins and a 13 game losing streak........
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:29 pm

You're wise beyond your years, smerkins. BTW, our ladies have been outscored by UConn in four AAC games, 366-162. :shock:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:25 pm

MustangStealth wrote:I'm not sure what is going on in the last 6 years or so, but it has been a lot of transfers since then.

WBB sees similar trends as MBB, so the high number of transfers is not unusual.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Planter's Punch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
MustangStealth wrote:I'm not sure what is going on in the last 6 years or so, but it has been a lot of transfers since then.

WBB sees similar trends as MBB, so the high number of transfers is not unusual.

I wasn't aware WBB was as transfer heavy as it is, I guess on the bright side the SMU reforms for FB and the additional reforms pushed by LB for MBB, should make it easier for SMU to get transfers to WBB, or do they face tougher scrutiny?
Planter's Punch
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball