PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mike Dement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mike Dement

Postby Blunt Pony » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:45 pm

Mike Dement is a good citizen, runs a clean program, graduates most of his players, and has a winning record during his tenure at SMU. Having said that, it is time to fire him and move towards taking this program to the next level. Sometimes a change is needed for changes sake. My concern is that our athletic department accepts mediocricy and will not take action even though the basketball program has become painfully predictable. I will always be a fan and season ticket holder because I like the game, but I am getting bored watching the same thing play out year after year. I just feel it is time for a change if for no other reason than a new attitude. (See Coach Bennett)
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Re: Mike Dement

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:46 pm

now would that be the new attitude that resulted in a worse record than his "pathetic" predecessor. Say all you want about the recruiting job Bennett did this year-just remember the recruiting job Cavan did in his first full recruiting season was just about equal under much more difficult circumstances. But I tell ya I've had just about enough of this fire the coach BS all you people insist will make a difference-if they fire Dement under circumstances he's had to put up with I think I'm just about to give up on the Mustangs and wait until they decide to play on an even playing field. I've never been one for pro BB but I think I'll just watch the Mavericks instead. At least they have an administration that knows what is necessary to win. If its all the Coaches fault when are we going to start firing the guy who hired all these "pathetic" coaches?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:38 pm

Gee Stallion, we haven't heard that before.
Do you actually attend basketball games??
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseradish » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony_Fan:
<B>Gee Stallion, we haven't heard that before.
Do you actually attend basketball games?? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I recall, last year he pretty much told us that he didnt. After a long speech about his sons bedtime, etc. That makes it kind of hard to take that threat seriously.
"[deleted] Me off one more time, and I'll stop coming to games I never came to in the Firts place!!"
Next he's going to threaten to stop making his non-existent donations to the Mustang Club.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby Original Frank » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:29 am

Blunt Pony is indeed quite correct while Stallion is off-point and incorrect in this application. You see Stallion, this time it is not about the administration or recruiting or other institutional barriers to success. This time, it's about basketball X's and O's and the ability to coach what you have during the game. Dement is simply lacking in this regard. You see, he has some big guys, he has some little guys, he has recruited some shooters, he has the whole lot. Yet, he can't teach organized offense, he is consistently outcoached by virtually all our opponents, his teams always play the one-on-five streetball game, and it is rare we see a team with double digit assists. This year, with one of the premier new point guards in the country, what is it that Dement is trying to do offensively? Does anyone know? It still looks like the unorganized Sasser/Hancock years with all the passing around the deep perimeter, no screens, no movement, very few assists, and a contested jumper by one of our stable of poor shooters. Gang, it's not a coincidence we always shoot 37%. With no offense to create easy shots, all of our shots are very contested and most are of the jumpshot variety. Further, Dement can't maintain any success over the entirety of the season. Believe it or not, we are now amongst the traditional Dement Swoon, a every-year late season collapse of the team and a regular falling out of contention in all areas of competition.

Is anyone actually excited about the Tulsa game on Wednesday? I love to go to SMU bball games, I've been to virtually all home h=games for 7 years. But I have no interest in the Tulsa game. I've seen this movie before (actually, I've seen it 6 times before).

This time, Stallion, it's not about the administration or lack of support or an even playing field. It's about poor coaching on the court with the talent that is here.

Yes, Dement must go, nice guy or not. In reality, what is it we have to lose?
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:27 pm

Hell yes, I have interest, and I'll be there.
EVERY PonyFan should be there!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby mulletmike » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:54 pm

Guys, give Stallion a break. He's a one-trick pony(football recruiting) and brings all his arguments back to the administration, admissions and recruiting.

Its all about coaching or lackthereof. Dement just isn't an X's and O's guy and has not done one thing to improve the absolute chaous on the floor after every opening tip.

He's got players to be competitive in this league, its that simple. What he needs is a gameplan and he doesn't have one. It didn't help that he brought in assistants that are recruiting strong and bench weak. Robert Brickey is an absolute joke of a hire. Probably a very nice man, but he basically no experience on the bench or trail for that matter.

In short, this is an exceptionally poorly taught program. The alums and boosters should be mad b/c the brand of product is atrocious. Like I said, we'd be more successful w/less talent and more structure than having Dement around any longer. I wish him well, but his teams are about as poorly coached as any I've seen in quite some time.

I've helped coach a reknowned Adidas travelling team(AAU) for years, and everyone knows Dement can't get the best out of his players. Its not a good reputation on the trail. Thank God, Jerryl is sticking in Orlando or he'd have nothing to point to .
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Austin » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:46 pm

Wow, it seems like just two weeks ago everybody told me this team was on the turnaround, and that any talk of Dement firings was premature.

I guess some people actually went to games to watch that tenacious D.

Everything Frank said is right. And, Castro is still the best player.
Austin

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:31 pm

I also agree with Frank. I'm not sure what to think about Dement...he can't coach offense or perimiter defense(OBVIOUSLY). If we can find someone to move this program FORWARD, then I'm for it. I don't want Dement fired without a replacement (ala the women's soccer situation).
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball