PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BHop hurts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

BHop hurts

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:38 am

He hurts us more than helps right now. Freshman wall or partying before away games or just stupid, I don't know but he is killing us. He can't shoot and refuses to learn what his role is. Dement should have benched him and stayed with Bobby and Voc. Hell, Mike Jr. would be better than what we are getting from Bhop. The kid seemed to be making progress with Assists vs. TO's until this roadtrip. He was simply horrible in every respect for the past 2 games. Blame Dement if you want but this kid doesn't seem to get it. Why would anyone say we are better with him? Is it because he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean when shooting or because he only has about 6 or 7 TO's per game. He doesn't play 3 point defense. Is he lazy? Were we sold a bill of goods re how talented he is? Quicker guards take the ball from him and he doesn't know when to pass. Its time for this guy to step up and be a player or admit he either doesn't care or doesn't have the talent. I'm one of the optimists on this board and thought he was finally getting it. Obviously, he doesn't get anything.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: BHop hurts

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:06 pm

I think that's a little harsh but I would like to see him pass the rock instead of shoot when he can't hit anything. He has had quite a number of steals this year but when I watch him at Moody, he is a little lazy on D, doesnt protect the 3 ball, and a lot of times his man is the one who scores. The TO's definitely need to stop. I hope he shows up against TU. I can't tell you the answer but I expected a little more too by this time. Some can say "he was hurt,lack of conditioning" etc, but he's got to play better than this.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:10 pm

He had his lunch eaten by a freshman point guard at FSU. I'm tired of excuses for him. No one else on this team has excuses made for their play. Why him?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Corso » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:26 pm

Not so fast, my friends!

Old Pony, I normally agree with your posts, but consider what you're saying. BHop is hurting more than he helps? Consider the options. With all due respect, he's better with one arm tied behind his back, hopping on one leg and with one eye covered up than Voc Atkins is (although in his defense, many of his shortcomings are caused by those knees of his.)

Hopkins hasn't been perfect this year, but he's kept us in several games and has solidified the point guard position. And keep in mind, we still haven't seen him at 100%.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Mickey » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:31 pm

You got it! However, some don't agree with us. The following quotes sum up the myth of BHop.

Nacho- " You obviously are no judge of talent. BHop will be in the NBA one day."

Q fan- " Oh, PS -- you bet your [deleted] Hopkins will be in the NBA one day! He 's the most talented player to come through SMU since I've been following the ponies."

He was better in HS. Cannot shoot, but that doesn't stop him from launching them at some critical times.
Mickey
All-American

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:23 pm

BHop hasn't been perfect? That is the understatement of the year. Tell me how he helps? He gets the ball taken from him or throws it away an average of about 6 times a game. That is a potentail 12 points but lets just caLL it 6. He shoots about 20 % from three point. Repsectable shooting hits no less that 33%. He takes more 3's than anyone else but has the lowest percent. Let's say we score on half of his EXCESS misses (how many he would have to hit to get to 33%)of 5 per game- Another 10 points. He shoots about 33% from the field. That should be a minimum of 40%. He only gets about 3 assists per game. That is pathetic for a point guard. I imagime Damon did that well and we all know he was never looking to pass. Hop dosn't play 3 point defense. In the games I have seen, he is beaten more than not in giving up open 3's. He gets 2-3 steals per game. About average for a point. His best stats are average and most are way below par. Give me a one-legged Voc, Bobby and Mike Jr. and we'll do as well or better. BHop has in no way been an answer so far. He instead is a problem. Any good point in the country will eat his lunch right now. There are only about 5 I can think of in the Big 12 alone. We need to quit making excuses for this kid until he proves something. I thought I saw improvement coming but evidently I was dead wrong.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Ikus » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:44 pm

I think we're all jumping the gun with Hopkins. This year, right or wrong, has been something of a throwaway year for him. He's spent most of the season nursing that groin/thigh/hip ailment that he had at the beginning of the year, and he's had little nagging injuries since then. Don't forget that he had his conditioning and preparation for his senior year all skewed by the foot/toe surgery he had after his senior year - a process that led to his other injuries as he compensated for the pain in his foot.

In addition, he's vastly overweight compared to where he was as a HS senior. Granted, we'd all like to be as "overweight" as he is, but he is a shell of the player who led his HS to a 40-0 record last year. What was it, last week that he had his first dunk? As a HS senior, he had multiple dunks in every game. When he's 100%, he's simply quicker and faster than any player on the floor, and he will get a lot of steals that will result in easy throw-downs.

And further, he doesn't have the quickness that allows him to separate from defenders for easy jumpers, or the lift in his legs that will aid his jumper.

Let's check in with him as a sophomore before we complain too much. I'm nowhere near ready to give up on this guy. I'm a huge fan of Damon Hancock, but this kid — even hobbled — is the most talented SMU point guard since Kato Armstrong, if not before.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:43 pm

The team is 12-11 with BHop. Without him they would be about 4-19. He has hit some clutch shots and won some games for SMU. You guys sound like the same guys who thought Sasser couldn't play. He lead the team in points, assists and rebounds for 4 years and was a first round NBA draft pick. Some great talent evaluators dressed up as SMU fans. lol
Nacho

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:15 pm

If you are thinking that we won 5 games because of Hopkins, I disagree. He has hit some clutch shots but that is all he has done. He has proven nothing yet. I hope it is because he isn't 100% but that excuse is becoming old now. I wonder about his work ethic and his coachability. Sasser was a great athlete and one on one basketball player. He never learned to play with the team around him. Bhop may be the same but so far he hasn't even shown the first part. Again, I hope he isn't 100% because if he is, he isn't an answer. Q, Simpson and Castro are all more important to this team than is Hopkins.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Ikus » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:53 pm

That excuse will only get older, then, until he is healthy. Give him a full offseason to get his medical ailments in order and shed a few pounds. He's due for a monster sophomore year, if his one-legged freshman year is any indication.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:20 pm

OP is just about over his rage from listening to the game last Saturday night. Let's hope you are right. Sometimes OP gets really upset by what sounded to be lazy and sloppy play. Maybe the team I had watched against Hawaii will return to Moody Wednesday.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:38 pm

I just think everyone is frustrated because he isn't a Chris Bosh or Bracey Wright. Chill, he is just a freshman, and he is contributing much more to this team than Castro or Isham did as freshmen.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:13 am

OldPony, you may think the excuse about Bryan's injuries/conditioning is getting old but its simply the truth. We will not see what he is capable of until he has had the summer to workout and get back into basketball shape. Talent wise, there is no doubt he is one of the best SMU has ever had. I know all SMU fans are frustrated and impatient at this point but give Hopkins a year and we will see a very special player.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball