PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring game - bball team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Spring game - bball team

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Honored during game, Brown said a few words. Whole team was there - high fives from fball team. Finally getting a sense of real community around here. First I have ever seen..
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Spring game - bball team

Postby Pony Boss » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Yes. Larry wanting fans to support football like we did basketball. The hoops team made a lot of fans happy today.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Highlight of the game for me. When LB said "come out and support them like you do us" I turned to my daughter and said "well, that will happen when they play/win like you". :-)
ojaipony

Postby jpe747 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 am

I thought he might say something about the (SMU) FAMILY...didn't happen.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:34 am

GiddyUp wrote:Honored during game, Brown said a few words. Whole team was there - high fives from fball team. Finally getting a sense of real community around here. First I have ever seen..

Assume that means KF was there as well as MK. Good news!
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Loved the reaction Yanick was getting from all the fans when they came up on their way out. Lots of love thrown towards him and lots of people asking for his picture.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:24 pm

My 15 year and 11 year old sons caught them in the concourse with basketballs and sharpies in hand. More than 1/2 the team, including Larry Brown, signed them. I didn't run up the aisle to catch them, figuring the the less people that were there, the better chance they had to get an autograph or two. They both said everyone was very cool, polite, and respectful, and my older son (who is 6'5") actually had a couple minute long conversation with MK. Both my kids were very excited to have met them.

I asked them if YM managed to get a goal tending call when he handed him the ball to sign. No comment.

And yes, KF was there.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby RebStang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 am

GiddyUp wrote:Honored during game, Brown said a few words. Whole team was there - high fives from fball team. Finally getting a sense of real community around here. First I have ever seen..

That's absolutely huge. It seems like a small thing but, in reality, having a tight knit athletic 'family' makes a huge impact on recruits in all sports.

Big things can happen when you get all facets of the athletic department - from players to coaches - pulling on the rope together. True success in college athletics requires an identity - every Mustang pulls for, supports, and lifts up every other Mustang, regardless of the sport they play.
RebStang
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:08 am

Pony Boss wrote:Yes. Larry wanting fans to support football like we did basketball. The hoops team made a lot of fans happy today.

'We did' meaning football fans that supported hoops?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:58 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:Yes. Larry wanting fans to support football like we did basketball. The hoops team made a lot of fans happy today.

'We did' meaning football fans that supported hoops?

No, "we did" meaning SMU fans
CalallenStang

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:43 am

jpe747 wrote:I thought he might say something about the (SMU) FAMILY...didn't happen.

He didn't have to say anything about family - it was right there on the field.
Bergermeister

Postby jpe747 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 am

Bergermeister wrote:
jpe747 wrote:I thought he might say something about the (SMU) FAMILY...didn't happen.

He didn't have to say anything about family - it was right there on the field.

I apologize Bergermeister. I thought the coaches were talking about the SMU family. Obviously from what you say, I was wrong. I also thought they had FAMILY t-shirts for students at a bb game. Perhaps I misinterpreted the meaning of FAMILY. Nonetheless, I hope these coaches find new ways to address fan support.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:36 pm

btw got a nice portrait and "Thank You" letter signed by Seniors on basketball team yesterday in mail. I know some wanted some kind of recognition like that. Mailman kind of bent mine but it was a nice portrait of the team after Championship Game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby KWhiz77 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:43 pm

^^^ Yes, was a nice & appreciated gesture. My 7yr old was super excited, has the photo and letter proudly displayed front and center in his room!
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:05 pm

ponywhupp9202 wrote:My 15 year and 11 year old sons caught them in the concourse with basketballs and sharpies in hand. More than 1/2 the team, including Larry Brown, signed them. I didn't run up the aisle to catch them, figuring the the less people that were there, the better chance they had to get an autograph or two. They both said everyone was very cool, polite, and respectful, and my older son (who is 6'5") actually had a couple minute long conversation with MK. Both my kids were very excited to have met them.

I asked them if YM managed to get a goal tending call when he handed him the ball to sign. No comment.

And yes, KF was there.

Whether honestly in the mix next year or not, the continued support and inclusion of Keith is one of those moves that makes a difference. Recruits see that connectivity and hear about it. Other players act on it. Just class...and the type of connection that not only results in a better chance of him buying in on the entire student and grades part, but the more important impact of the lessons he takes with him that make him a better man and father later in life. LB...making great men.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball