PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let the Rest of the Season Play Out

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Let the Rest of the Season Play Out

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:48 pm

Before you call for Dement's head. . . I have attended almost every home game and listended to almost every road game. There have been some strings of GREAT games out of these guys, along with some bad. This team is 4-1 in OT games (Could have been 5-0) and has PROVEN that they can win the close game. We should have beaten Fresno when we had them at home and Vegas on the road - but still, I think that we are like 7-3 in the close games.

I think that the WAC tournament should be the barometer of this team's success at this point in time. Regardless of the regular season - every team is going to finish with nearly the same record.

With the way that SMU has played in the close games - and with SMU on a neutral floor - I am expecting to see the competitive SMU team show up in Tulsa - and if they do - look out - because the Q will not go down quietly.

It has certainly been a roller coaster year - and the ride is FAR from over.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Let the Rest of the Season Play Out

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:07 pm

I agree that a lot of different scenarios could play out to finish this season. This team could roll off 5 wins in a row to finish the season...or they could easily lose 4 of the last 5 (I'm not sure they could actually tank it enough to lose them all). I do not see this team doing well in the WAC Tourney. Actually, a 1st round win would be a success. We just don't have any depth, and tourney time becomes a marathon. The team that can go 8-9 deep without a significant drop-off in quality has to be the favorite...and that's not SMU.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:58 pm

I would hope that this team continues to play as a team. Really work to improve its defense and play well together. I think we can end it decent shape and have a decent tourney. Maybe slip into a NIT bid. It could happen.
ponyte

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:02 pm

No it couldn't.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:10 pm

The only chance this team has of getting a NIT bid would be to win 5 straight regular season games and then win 2 in WAC Tourney before losing in finals...and to be safe that loss better be in OT by one point. That would mean a 19-12 finish and would deserve a bid...for a road game.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball