PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kyle Wilson from Jesuit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kyle Wilson from Jesuit

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:29 pm

word is Kyle Wilson, freshman at Illinois, and outstanding hs player from Dallas, is thinking hard about transferring due to playing time. The long Midwest winter is probably bumming him out too I imagine. Early speculation is Baylor. SMU needs to make a run at this kid.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Kyle Wilson from Jesuit

Postby PX » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoop Fan:
<B>word is Kyle Wilson, freshman at Illinois, and outstanding hs player from Dallas, is thinking hard about transferring due to playing time. The long Midwest winter is probably bumming him out too I imagine. Early speculation is Baylor. SMU needs to make a run at this kid. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is true, we could be a legit contender. We were his 3rd choice, behind Illinois and Notre Dame. When last I checked he was getting regular minutes at Illinois, has his playing time dropped off?
PX
Varsity

Postby NCPony » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:54 pm

He is averaging 6.5 minutes, has played in 17 games with no starts. 2.3 pts/gm; 1.5 rebs/gm; 0.5 ast/gm- shooting 37%(field) and 27% (3's) and 75% FT%.

Who was the main SMU coach to recruit him?
NCPony

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:47 pm

Wilson plays about as much as any freshman at a big time program should expect to. Most of his minutes are at garbage time, but he has gotten some quality minutes here and there. At this point, its a rumor, but it seems like a strong one on the Illini board. My point is that SMU needs to try to pick up the scraps on players like this whenever possible.
Hoop Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:49 pm

oh yeah, and Illinois has some dynamite wing players coming in the future including Warren Carter from Dallas and Brian Randle. Also having Charlie Villanaeva committed if he doesnt jump to the NBA. Kyle might be looking around and wondering if its worth battling all those guys for time in the future.
Hoop Fan

Postby Scoops » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:05 pm

But would we have another scholarship to give the guy?

What are his numbers (height, weight, scoring, rebounds, etc.)?
Scoops
All-American

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:20 am

Wilson is 6'8, but slender. Hes a finesse player. Looks like a baby Dirk Nowitski. His stats arent impressive this year, but would be a heck of a player in the WAC. By the way, Wilson didnt see the floor tonight in a 30 pt blowout of Mich State, so methinks he is available. You have to find a schollie for a player with his potential.
Hoop Fan

Postby PG » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:35 am

I saw Wilson play a few times in high school (once against BHop) and he reminded me a lot of Poerner. He can face up and hit the three pretty routinely and also post up. He'd be a very nice addition if we could get him. The kid plays his butt off all the time. He hustles, dives for loose balls, is active on both ends, and seems to play with a passion that might not always be there with our current mix.

Illinois is already starting three freshmen so I can see why he isn't getting many minutes. He would be a redshirt soph when Simpson and Castro are seniors so we would already have a good big man to step in when they are gone. If he is available, I think the coaches should really go after him.
PG
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:29 pm

They are saying the exact same thing on the TU board. I guess this guy is worthy.
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball