PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

bracket buster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

bracket buster

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:30 pm

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/2003/0217/1510451.html" TARGET=_blank>http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/2003/0217/1510451.html</A>
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: bracket buster

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:15 am

As I watch a school that has a high school gym like Rice in Spokane, Wash, how do they have a good bball program??
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:32 am

College of Charleston plays in another one of those "high school" gyms as you call it (capactity 3600) and they have a pretty impressive bball history, too. Gonzaga's 3000 seats are always full and that funky little gym gives them a great home court advantage. That atmosphere beats the heck out of Moody with 3,000 fans. It's all about having a commitment to winning...and both those programs do. Those small gyms, though, are one reason why those two schools can't get big time programs to come play them in their home venues. C of C played UConn a few years back but had to move to the N.Charleston Coliseum, which seats 11,000. They tried to host a holiday tourney in the Coliseum, but after beating Penn State and Alabama in the 1st year of the event, couldn't get big time programs to come in. They are now back on campus with their event and host the likes of Oral Roberts, Hampton, Maryland-Eatern Shore, etc...

If we can eventually raise the money to renovate Moody by adding boxes and luxury seating and reducing capacity to about 6500-7000, we may have potential for the best of both worlds. Despite what so many seem to think, I do believe we are making progress and are not far from fielding a team that can compete for WAC championships.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:02 pm

This tourney ESPN deal, just reiterated to me how sorry the WAC is this year. La Tech losing at home? I thought TU had a chance but all they do is shoot the long bomber.

Hawaii had to play one of their best games of the year to win.

WAC is a one bidder this year and might not even get that if it wasn't automatic.
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball