PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Simeon Carter to SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Simeon Carter to SMU

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:52 pm

Rebel10 wrote:From what I understand his reading level is not high enough to stay eligible at SMU. He will have a better chance at those other schools.

Well one of our players came in with a ninth grade level so there is precedent
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:54 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:From what I understand his reading level is not high enough to stay eligible at SMU. He will have a better chance at those other schools.

Well one of our players came in with a ninth grade level so there is precedent

I believe his might be lower than that. More like 6th grade.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Yikes
smupony94

Postby lwjr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:06 pm

How pitiful the public school system has become
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm

lwjr wrote:How pitiful the public school system has become

Before we pass judgement on the school system he might have a learning disability or his parent(s) may not have been there much to help for whatever reason.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby lwjr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 pm

My point being, this is becoming a common occurrence. It is not an isolated incident.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:42 pm

He will have a better chance to develop his reading at his pace and graduate at a school like Oregon St. I wish the young man the best.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby lwjr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Rebel10 wrote:He will have a better chance to develop his reading at his pace and graduate at a school like Oregon St. I wish the young the bast.

Agree. Hopefully everyone wishes him nothing the best
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby KWhiz77 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 pm

I wish only the best for this young man. He wanted to be a Mustang and I admire him for that! I hope he finds the best University for HIM- where he can be a success both in the classroom and on the court. Wish it would have worked out...
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby mustang1992 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Not sure who the target is here, but as a public school teacher, let me suggest the following:

1. the Texas Legislature which passes laws like the "mandatory retest / redo policy" AND who also just passed a state law requiring all Texas public universities to accept 3s on AP Exams.

2. local school boards who pass district policies which forbid teachers for giving homework to students or don't allow students to get failing grades.

3. the State Board of Education which requires students to take a, for example, U.S. History Exam and pass before being able to graduate, but in order to pass the students only have to get 40% correct.

4. administrators which encourage teachers to have students play games in class, that's right, principals encourage this as part of a technology push. I could go on and on here, administrators are some of the biggest problems in education...

5. parents who don't force students to do homework, if they live in a district that still allows this, or demands all kinds of modifications on their IEPs, setting the student up for failure because they are handed everything.

6. students who don't take advantage of the opportunities they are given with education, don't go to tutoring or any kind of remediation because they know they will pass because they are the super star athlete in the school.

7. education programs in universities being taught from folks who never stepped foot in the classroom, but are training new teachers, all of which their suggestions for quality lessons are about 5 grade levels below what they should be. Education majors ought to only be for elementary ed folks, anyone wanting to teach junior high and above ought to be required to get a degree in a subject area (not education). At most all you need is about 9 hours in education classes.

I'm perfectly willing to place some of this blame on teachers as well, but to totally blame teachers is to be very unaware of what is going on in public education. I'm not saying you were blaming teachers, but the gut reaction of folks is normally to do just that...

Most teachers hands are tied from the groups listed above.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 pm

mustang1992 wrote:

Not sure who the target is here, but as a public school teacher, let me suggest the following:

1. the Texas Legislature which passes laws like the "mandatory retest / redo policy" AND who also just passed a state law requiring all Texas public universities to accept 3s on AP Exams.

2. local school boards who pass district policies which forbid teachers for giving homework to students or don't allow students to get failing grades.

3. the State Board of Education which requires students to take a, for example, U.S. History Exam and pass before being able to graduate, but in order to pass the students only have to get 40% correct.

4. administrators which encourage teachers to have students play games in class, that's right, principals encourage this as part of a technology push. I could go on and on here, administrators are some of the biggest problems in education...

5. parents who don't force students to do homework, if they live in a district that still allows this, or demands all kinds of modifications on their IEPs, setting the student up for failure because they are handed everything.

6. students who don't take advantage of the opportunities they are given with education, don't go to tutoring or any kind of remediation because they know they will pass because they are the super star athlete in the school.

7. education programs in universities being taught from folks who never stepped foot in the classroom, but are training new teachers, all of which their suggestions for quality lessons are about 5 grade levels below what they should be. Education majors ought to only be for elementary ed folks, anyone wanting to teach junior high and above ought to be required to get a degree in a subject area (not education). At most all you need is about 9 hours in education classes.

I'm perfectly willing to place some of this blame on teachers as well, but to totally blame teachers is to be very unaware of what is going on in public education. I'm not saying you were blaming teachers, but the gut reaction of folks is normally to do just that...

Most teachers hands are tied from the groups listed above.

Yeah....pretty sure those are the exact reason Dexter Manley couldn't read back in the 80's. It's a socio-economic issue first people, with local cultural deficiencies and bloated administrations feeding the issue. Without a culture of education and a community that supports it at a young age, it is hard to make any impact and most just try to put bandaids on the septic wounds. Hope he finds a coach who is as interested in the kid as they are in the athlete and a school willing to foster that.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 am

SMU accepts (or accepted) 2's on AP exams. They gave me two semesters credit in German for mine.
smusic 00

Postby mustang1992 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:29 am

smusic 00 wrote:SMU accepts (or accepted) 2's on AP exams. They gave me two semesters credit in German for mine.

SMU only accepts 4/5 for German (and all other AP Exams), as per their 2015-16 school year. There is only 1 exam that they accept a 3 for, Calculus B/C but only if their subscore is a 4.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am

Lucky me, I guess.
smusic 00

Postby Pony147 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 am

mustang1992 wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:SMU accepts (or accepted) 2's on AP exams. They gave me two semesters credit in German for mine.

SMU only accepts 4/5 for German (and all other AP Exams), as per their 2015-16 school year. There is only 1 exam that they accept a 3 for, Calculus B/C but only if their subscore is a 4.

https://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/ ... /2015-2016
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball