PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU has reached out to Rasheed Sulaimon

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU has reached out to Rasheed Sulaimon

Postby gostangs » Wed May 06, 2015 10:09 pm

We have some world class basketball minds on our bench. If they like this guy it is for a reason. Ill take their opinion over some internet hack.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 pm

hoopmanx wrote:There are no centers and power forwards, just posts. There is no SG or SF, just wings

I think the offense we will see next year is with the second post a little more perimeter. Less high low with one post on the FT line and one in the blocks. More one guy a true post, two wing players and then two guards in the back court. Ben likes to attack from the perimeter and shoot the 15 foot from the baseline. Semi likes to stay deeper to the corner for the open 3 and use athleticism in space on rebounds instead of post up.
JasonB

Postby ojaipony » Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 am

I'd take him and not think twice. But with Sterling, we are fine with or without him IMHO. I know their games are a little different, but I REALLY like Sterling - especially if he can work on his offense a little bit in the offseason and look to create a little more offense for himself every once and a while. I know he' s capable and really embraces that "junkyard dog" type role, which is definitely needed. But I think he can be that AND a little bit more. He's probably my favorite player and our most valuable outside of Nic and MK.
ojaipony

Postby sjackson » Thu May 07, 2015 11:17 am

ojaipony wrote:I'd take him and not think twice. But with Sterling, we are fine with or without him IMHO. I know their games are a little different, but I REALLY like Sterling - especially if he can work on his offense a little bit in the offseason and look to create a little more offense for himself every once and a while. I know he' s capable and really embraces that "junkyard dog" type role, which is definitely needed. But I think he can be that AND a little bit more. He's probably my favorite player and our most valuable outside of Nic and MK.

Yes - Sterling made huge strides last year, after a freshman year in which it seemed he could never do anything right...much like Ben E last year.
sjackson
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 07, 2015 11:49 am

sjackson wrote:Yes - Sterling made huge strides last year, after a freshman year in which it seemed he could never do anything right...much like Ben E last year.

I disagree. I thought Sterling was great his freshman year, about as solid as a freshman can be. Last season Sterling was MIA the first half of the season, but the final two months of the season he showed flashes of his freshman promise.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Thu May 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Sterling is pretty much great anytime he gets extended starters minutes. He's a tough SOB
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 pm

True. For whatever reason Sterling had trouble getting on the floor the first half of the season.

LA_Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Thu May 07, 2015 12:23 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:True. For whatever reason Sterling had trouble getting on the floor the first half of the season.

That's on LB for swapping Frazier and Browns minutes after Brown was clearly better at the end of year 1. I never heard hat Frazier was better in practice either, nor the vocal leader.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Thu May 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Hopefully Ben Moore reached his potential this season.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Grant Carter » Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 pm

PonySnob wrote:Hopefully Ben Moore reached his potential this season.

I am hoping he keeps getting better.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Thu May 07, 2015 1:10 pm

I think Larry knew he needed someone who could score from outside who was not Nic on the floor and we struggled with that all year. never really found that either. I don't blame him for trying to make Keith that guy while we played easier teams. That said I think Sterling has been our most solid all around player that is not nic.
gostangs

Postby ojaipony » Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 pm

As I said in my post, Sterling is one of our top 3 players (at times, he has been our MOST valuable player) and I think he can even get much better. He hits 3s and is big and strong enough to get to the rim. He just doesn't look for offense all that regularly - not sure if by design or what. But the kid needs to start and get big minutes, ESPECIALLY in critical game deciding minutes. And, yeah, of course, he was great his freshman year! WTH. Hoop is right - LB gave Sterling's minutes to KF early in the season. With or without KF, Sterling should start absolutely. No doubt about it in my mind whatsoever. The issue is he's not a TRUE wing (can't really create his own shot with ease and shoot LIGHTS OUT) nor is he a true post (a little undersized). But he can bring some of both (can handle the rock, can shoot, and plays 'bigger' than he is and could guard both in some instances). He's just a solid, solid kid and he'd be on my starting 5 without a doubt. Of course, you make in game adjustments but the kid should be seeing significant minutes. Just my opinion.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Thu May 07, 2015 3:03 pm

gostangs wrote:I think Larry knew he needed someone who could score from outside who was not Nic on the floor and we struggled with that all year. never really found that either. I don't blame him for trying to make Keith that guy while we played easier teams. That said I think Sterling has been our most solid all around player that is not nic.

I agree that that was probably the mindset. Keith is more athletic and can create his own shot better. A bit faster, too. It's a good 'problem' to have. I just like Sterling more if I'm in a foxhole - not that I don't like Keith. LOVE that kid, too. Hope he gets eligible and matures even more as a bball player next year.
ojaipony

Postby Dukie » Sat May 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Sulaimon just visited Maryland, FYI.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon May 11, 2015 9:12 am

Will commit to Maryland......hoopmanx's two squads are going to be loaded next season.

“@AdamZagoria: And yes, Maryland will be loaded with the addition of Sulaimon http://zagsblog.com/articles/report-ras ... -maryland/”

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball