PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vick decommits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Vick decommits

Postby smupony94 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 pm

I am sure you are quite worried about what I think
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I've seen many better atmospheres in my life. Guess I've been lucky.

I would love to know what college arenas you've been to that are rocking and completely full against cupcake opponents? Also, can you please post the presser/article where any one of our players complained about our home crowds? LB, too. I know he has made subtle comments in pressers about the home crowd arriving late but I've never heard him be overly critical, or had the impression he was frustrated.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Wed May 27, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:I've seen many better atmospheres in my life. Guess I've been lucky.

I would love to know what college arenas you've been to that are rocking and completely full against cupcake oppontents? Also, can you please post the presser/article where any one of our players complained about our home crowds? LB, too. I know he has made subtle comments in pressers about the home crowd arriving late but I've never heard him be overly critical, or had the impression he was frustrated.

Don't hold your breath because he can't produce them
smupony94

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Cannen Cunningham and Ryan made a comment last year about it, don't recall where. And I was not limiting myself to college basketball arenas. Atmosphere is not related to "professionalism". But as for better atmospheres, with more committed fan bases, we could start with
Maine Road Manchester, Landsdowne Road, Croke Park in Dublin. Twickenham in London. In the states, Notre Dame Stadium, Navy. It's not about the size of the crowd, or the shininess of the arena it's having the majority of the people in it really care as a community. Good times or bad, they go. It's automatic. Generational. We have maybe 10% of that and 90% are there because it's cool and successful. There is no heart in our support. I love SMU but I think, with the exception of many people on this board, that we have the worst fanbase I've ever seen.

Won
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm

You need to cheer for TCU
smupony94

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 pm

I will cheer for my school thanks.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 pm

I hope they cancel soccer and add lacrosse
smupony94

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:Cannen Cunningham and Ryan made a comment last year about it, don't recall where.

So the two guys who have been here four years and played in front of home crowds of 1000 their freshman and sophomore years started complaining when 6000-7000 showed up at Moody? That's VERY odd. I would love to see the clips of those comments because I find it very hard to believe.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 pm

I think it was the Temple game where Ryan said that it was "like the old Moody" or words to that effect. But don't get me wrong, moody is better than it ever was as a place to play, and I'm sure the kids love it. But I think we can do better and I think it is obvious to all that the crowd lacks loyalty and longevity.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GreenbeltPony » Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I think it was the Temple game where Ryan said that it was "like the old Moody" or words to that effect. But don't get me wrong, moody is better than it ever was as a place to play, and I'm sure the kids love it. But I think we can do better and I think it is obvious to all that the crowd lacks loyalty and longevity.

I'm pretty sure he was referring specifically to the the unusually low amount of crowd energy during the first half, not the entire game atmosphere.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 pm

That's true, but I'm not taking about the entire game atmosphere either. I'm just saying we have a long way to go and that comments have been made.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby KWhiz77 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 pm

I may be mistaken but that Temple game on 2/19 was the "infamous" early 6pm Thurs start that filled up late, but once it filled it was CRAZY!
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Wed May 27, 2015 11:31 pm

I genuinely feel bad for this dude. He can't enjoy the best stretch of his alma mater's performance in a major sport in decades because of his own issues and he thinks it's a mirage that will end soon.
That is sad.
skyscraper

Postby KWhiz77 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Maybe i love the game too much. Maybe I am too proud of SMU- Win or LOSE!
But, I knew exactly what he was referencing and I never took their comments as negative. Notice they say they turned the game around bc of the crowd!

http://youtu.be/8j8J3QQ-ZLg
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 am

skyscraper wrote:I genuinely feel bad for this dude. He can't enjoy the best stretch of his alma mater's performance in a major sport in decades because of his own issues and he thinks it's a mirage that will end soon.
That is sad.

Thanks but don't feel bad for me. I love watching my ponies. Bringing up my kids as Ponyfans. I just don't like success achieved with the pocketbook. Manchester City, which holds a very special place in my heart, has been ruined by money in many ways and I hate seeing SMU go the same way. It's not as bad by any stretch but I'm jaded by the whole thing
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball