PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Vick decommits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Vick decommits

Postby Prideful Pony » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 pm

In the modern age, sustained success is always achieved via the pocketbook. You can debate that some teams/clubs first catch magic in a bottle on the field/court/pitch which spurs further investment or vice versa, but SMU's frankly an odd comparison with City.

You're yearning for a "purity" in sports which, if it even exists, is at best a fleeting outlier.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I genuinely feel bad for this dude. He can't enjoy the best stretch of his alma mater's performance in a major sport in decades because of his own issues and he thinks it's a mirage that will end soon.
That is sad.

Thanks but don't feel bad for me. I love watching my ponies. Bringing up my kids as Ponyfans. I just don't like success achieved with the pocketbook. Manchester City, which holds a very special place in my heart, has been ruined by money in many ways and I hate seeing SMU go the same way. It's not as bad by any stretch but I'm jaded by the whole thing

Can you clarify this point? Are you suggesting you wish SMU had not invested in facilities and coaches to achieve the success we have had so far? If so, how do you propose that SMU should have tried to achieve success?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:39 pm

KWhiz77 wrote:Maybe i love the game too much. Maybe I am too proud of SMU- Win or LOSE!
But, I knew exactly what he was referencing and I never took their comments as negative. Notice they say they turned the game around bc of the crowd!

:roll: Give it a rest
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I genuinely feel bad for this dude. He can't enjoy the best stretch of his alma mater's performance in a major sport in decades because of his own issues and he thinks it's a mirage that will end soon.
That is sad.

Thanks but don't feel bad for me. I love watching my ponies. Bringing up my kids as Ponyfans. I just don't like success achieved with the pocketbook. Manchester City, which holds a very special place in my heart, has been ruined by money in many ways and I hate seeing SMU go the same way. It's not as bad by any stretch but I'm jaded by the whole thing

Can you clarify this point? Are you suggesting you wish SMU had not invested in facilities and coaches to achieve the success we have had so far? If so, how do you propose that SMU should have tried to achieve success?

It's a fair question. They did a beautiful job on the new moody. But no-one asked me if I wanted to pay 10 times the price for my ticket. Using Manchester City as an example, they moved to a big flashy new stadium a few years ago. It has none of the charm or atmosphere of the old Maine Road ground. Likewise they brought in big name players who play for huge money. They even won the league. Twice. And I'll never stop loving the club but I miss the character of the old place and the way the club treated it's fans. It was like a family.

But SMU didn't treat the fans worth a damn in this case. In fact they bold faced lied to me. I can understand that it is easier to recruit when you have sexy facilities, so I'll get over having to move seats. And maybe Larry Brown wouldn't come if they didn't rebuild Moody. I don't know. But I loved SMU hoops before. None of this has made it more attractive to me. I love it the same, but with the same twinge of regret I have for Man City deciding to buy success.

It's my problem. If I had my way television would have no role to play in sports. I'm strange like that but I remember having to go to a game if I wanted to see it. I accept the way it is.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GreenbeltPony » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 am

Yes, let's return to the "old Moody"/pre-LB days; I definitely enjoyed being able to sit wherever I wanted.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 pm

Back to the player Vick. It is evidently official, he is reclassifying to 2015 is now rated a 5 star. 247 at one time had him rated at 137 then 33, now at 28. I believe this fills Kansas' 2015 class. They were in on 7'2" Chukwu., but then again maybe not.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Unfortunate that LB's two most highly rated commitments never made it to campus.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:29 pm

PonySnob wrote:Unfortunate that LB's two most highly rated commitments never made it to campus.

True, however this happens a lot. Our fallback last second Center is between Pitt, VCU, and just decommitted from Minn. We have come a long way.

I would have liked Vick however I like the thought of having Sed, Shake, Carter, Foster, and potentially Nwankwo for 4 years. That alone in 3 years is a starting 5 and none of may start next year. Add to that we get Semi for 2.5 years he would be there as a Senior that year. We have done a good amount to help sustainability. Then we can focus recruiting for a year on getting a big signee.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball