PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Experience Doesn't Matter?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Experience Doesn't Matter?

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:27 pm

....as the "experts" on this board suggest that BHOP is an overrated failure and is hurting his team even as a raw freshman maybe some of you "experts" ought to explain the following incredible improvement made by two other guards at SMU---Q.Ross Fr. 7.5 PPG, Soph. 14.2, Jr. 17.4, Sr. 20.0. Hancock Fr. 7.3, Soph. 10.8, Jr. 16.7, Sr. 22.0. Now let's look at BHop who has been injured and still playing his heart out- 13.5 PPG alomost twice as much as Hancock and Ross combined. Lay off BHop and let him develop. Some of you were probably the ones saying that Eric Dickerson couldn't play after he FLOPPED as a freshman 3rd stringer. How about Jon Koncak who couldn't tie his shoes as a freshman but blossomed into an All-SWC contender by his sophmore years. The two Best Modern Day Players in Football and Basketball were FLOPs as freshman. To suggest that experience and maturity don't matter in College BB is just asinine. The top-loaded teams in the WAC who rely on JUCU/CC/Transfers have been proving otherwise almost every single year we have been in the WAC.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-18-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Experience Doesn't Matter?

Postby Pegasus » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:16 pm

Good points Stallion, everyone needs to take a deep breath, and relax. I think alot of us are so frustrated, we're slinging poisen darts in every direction.
Pegasus
Scout Team

Postby Pegasus » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pegasus:
<B>Good points Stallion, everyone needs to take a deep breath, and relax. I think alot of us are so frustrated, we're slinging poison darts in every direction.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pegasus
Scout Team

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:34 pm

Anyone who knows about basketball should be able to see the talent/potential in Hopkins. Yes, he has made mistakes. Yes, he has committed a lot of TOs. No, he has not played up to his billing. Why? HE HAS BEEN INJURED AND SERIOUSLY OUT OF SHAPE. Like Stallion said, give him another year and you will see why he was so highly regarded coming out of high school.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:38 pm

I never said that BHop was a failure. As a matter of fact, I think that he will be one of the best to ever come out of SMU. I said that he can't shoot, and he can't. I also said that he is immature, and he is. If he were playing for Knight, he would have been benched for a game like Emmett and Valdez were last night.

I will throw this out as an explanation as to the improvement by Ross and Hancock. First,neither one of them started as Frosh.
Second, they were SG's not PG's. 3rd, Ross and Hancock had to play with Sasser early in their careers, and Sasser would never let anyone else be a scorer.

Experience and maturity matter. So does immaturity.
Mickey
All-American

Return to Basketball