PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jonathan Williams III Visit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jonathan Williams III Visit

Postby hoopmanx » Fri May 08, 2015 5:37 pm

The difference between Gtown and SMU is system, screw the other factors. If this kid fancies himself a Jeff Green, Greg Monroe face-up post, no better place to play than Gtown. The offense runs through you in the high post and you're a triple threat on every touch.

If he wants low block looks, pick and roll action, even pick and pop face-up, SMU is the choice. Either place, he gets the rock a bunch. SMU also has playing time to offer on an otherwise loaded team, which I think will be the rub. This kid wants to win, go to the tourney etc, but he wants to know he's an immediate cog, not just another piece. If he came to SMU, he's pretty much the show in the post from day 1
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 08, 2015 6:23 pm

@BillyEmbody: A source tells me that #Mizzou transfer Jonathan Williams III is on #SMU campus for an official visit. Visits Georgetown next week. #PonyUp
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Always be closing!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby diveonthefloor2014 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:56 pm

hoopmanx wrote:If he came to SMU, he's pretty much the show in the post from day 1

Isn't Markus returning?
diveonthefloor2014
Recruit

Postby mavsrage311 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:30 am

diveonthefloor2014 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:If he came to SMU, he's pretty much the show in the post from day 1

Isn't Markus returning?

He would have to sit out a year per transfer rules. Markus would be gone by then.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Update?? Hoping for good news today...
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Planter's Punch » Mon May 11, 2015 9:30 am

Sulaimon to Maryland
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby whitwiki » Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Boom
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Won't even need to break up with his weed man
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Mon May 11, 2015 2:50 pm

:shock:
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby KWhiz77 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 am

Per new article on Rivals: JW III says he plans to decide by his bday on 5/22. He enjoyed visit etc to SMU- only concern is... Will LB stay?!?

https://smu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1765782
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Wed May 13, 2015 9:38 am

hoopmanx wrote:The difference between Gtown and SMU is system, screw the other factors. If this kid fancies himself a Jeff Green, Greg Monroe face-up post, no better place to play than Gtown. The offense runs through you in the high post and you're a triple threat on every touch.

If he wants low block looks, pick and roll action, even pick and pop face-up, SMU is the choice. Either place, he gets the rock a bunch. SMU also has playing time to offer on an otherwise loaded team, which I think will be the rub. This kid wants to win, go to the tourney etc, but he wants to know he's an immediate cog, not just another piece. If he came to SMU, he's pretty much the show in the post from day 1

How does their roster look? We know that, here, he'll definitely be a starter day one unless he gets stage 4 cancer. Would it be that automatic at Gtown given their roster? (of course, who knows what it would look like by the time he gets on the court . . . this IS college bball of course).
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Wed May 13, 2015 9:43 am

KWhiz77 wrote:Per new article on Rivals: JW III says he plans to decide by his bday on 5/22. He enjoyed visit etc to SMU- only concern is... Will LB stay?!?

https://smu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1765782

Thanks for posting. Rivals got the jump on Scout on this one. :-)

I don't think he'll come here if he still has that doubt (apparently they didn't convince him otherwise on the visit). If that's the ONLY reason he would come to SMU (and I wouldn't blame him if it was - again, that IS our biggest problem right now with the program), I wouldn't come here -- too risky. I foresee him at Mich State but don't know enough about Gtown's roster/rotation. If it's a very high probability that he starts there, I bet it comes down to Mich State and Gtown which sucks. We are in a little bit of a catch 22 with LB. Of course, it's amazing that we have him! On the other hand, I don't think we have the right succession plan in place and/or not selling it correctly to recruits.
ojaipony

Postby KWhiz77 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:57 am

Ojai: Regard succession plan: my thoughts are the same. There has to be a more solid/stable recruit method to get these kids secure with the "mystery LB" factor esp when we know other programs are def not helping our case AND with the NCAA invest hovering over us right now. We are strong and YES it is bc of LB and I wish he was able to stay 4ever, but I have faith that our program will continue to grow after bc of what he is creating- maybe this philosophy is too far a stretch for teens?!?! Or maybe I just have too much pride in my school and this program?
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Wed May 13, 2015 10:06 am

My dream succession plan is that LB coaches 2 more years, Popavich retires after next year and when LB steps down pop has the itch to coach again but want to focus on the basketball so he comes to SMU.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball