PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jonathan Williams III Visit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jonathan Williams III Visit

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:34 pm

but SMU won't pull that for anyone not from Texas or Top 10
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 pm

We have not been that good in recent history so it's not fair to say people won't watch the games were SMU to become a powerhouse football program.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Pony Boss wrote:The only team that will ever deliver the DFW market is the Dallas Cowboys. No one in the big 12 does individually, maybe cow gets the most views followed by oklahoma. SMU delivering 15-20% of DFW market would make it a solid contributor to any conference.

I'm not sure what you mean by delivering the DFW market but the Mavs do very well ratings wise and advertisers looking to reach M25-54 love to buy their spots during games.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:08 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
Pony Boss wrote:The only team that will ever deliver the DFW market is the Dallas Cowboys. No one in the big 12 does individually, maybe cow gets the most views followed by oklahoma. SMU delivering 15-20% of DFW market would make it a solid contributor to any conference.

I'm not sure what you mean by delivering the DFW market but the Mavs do very well ratings wise and advertisers looking to reach M25-54 love to buy their spots during games.

The statement about the cowboys is mostly hyperbole. Point I was trying to make is that no one college team really dominates and not even one conference although SEC and Big 12 do well in this market.

but what I don't understand is how some SMU fans try to bring up numbers for attendance and tv from 30 plus years ago, when things were completely different, and just say that SMU is limited in it's ability to produce an exciting product that will elicit the attention of a significant portion of Dallas/FW. Horse before the cart, let the program develop into a powerhouse before losing all hope of being attractive enough to be admitted to a power league ( by the way, more than half of power league teams are useless and I only count 18 to 20 blue bloods )
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:17 am

Pony Boss wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:

The statement about the cowboys is mostly hyperbole. Point I was trying to make is that no one college team really dominates and not even one conference although SEC and Big 12 do well in this market.

but what I don't understand is how some SMU fans try to bring up numbers for attendance and tv from 30 plus years ago, when things were completely different, and just say that SMU is limited in it's ability to produce an exciting product that will elicit the attention of a significant portion of Dallas/FW. Horse before the cart, let the program develop into a powerhouse before losing all hope of being attractive enough to be admitted to a power league ( by the way, more than half of power league teams are useless and I only count 18 to 20 blue bloods )

I think it starts w/IF you, the individual, think the program can develop into a powerhouse that will elicit the attention of a significant portion of DFW? LIke they say on XFiles, I want to believe, just not sure I do. Hoops is a different beast where successful models for medium-sized private schools/programs are fairly well defined. Who are we trying to be and what kind of money does it truly take to get there? I don't buy the Stanford-type comparisons. Maybe the U? What private school w/6500 undergrad kids is killing it in football? I don't know, I'm asking.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:43 am

I don't know about 6,500 students but there is a school 40 miles west of Dallas with 8,500 students that is killing it in football. I don't think the number of students is hurting SMU. Keeping June on post-ASU, if we are forever relegated to the second tier, will have been the death knell of SMU football.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 am

StallionsModelT wrote:I don't know about 6,500 students but there is a school 40 miles west of Dallas with 8,500 students that is killing it in football. I don't think the number of students is hurting SMU. Keeping June on post-ASU, if we are forever relegated to the second tier, will have been the death knell of SMU football.

Of course that school is killing it all under the same coach. Tcu was luck yhe wasn't poached a long time ago. Quite frankly TCU put them selves in position to always be competative (they got major conference money now) but that doesn't mean they will be any good once the coaching situation changes. Nebraska, Miami, ND, USC and Michigan used to compete for national titles now not so much. No one's place at the top of the ladder is assured. I have a strong suspicion that tcu and Baylor are more like texas tech then like Oklahoma.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:07 am

Pony_Law wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:I don't know about 6,500 students but there is a school 40 miles west of Dallas with 8,500 students that is killing it in football. I don't think the number of students is hurting SMU. Keeping June on post-ASU, if we are forever relegated to the second tier, will have been the death knell of SMU football.

Of course that school is killing it all under the same coach. Tcu was luck yhe wasn't poached a long time ago. Quite frankly TCU put them selves in position to always be competative (they got major conference money now) but that doesn't mean they will be any good once the coaching situation changes. Nebraska, Miami, ND, USC and Michigan used to compete for national titles now not so much. No one's place at the top of the ladder is assured. I have a strong suspicion that tcu and Baylor are more like texas tech then like Oklahoma.

IF Morris is the guy and everyone is sold. He recruits like a madman and his system wows, how long till we're a national player? Top 25 stature, actual victories over big 12 schools, legit bowls? In a perfect world he gets everything he wants and needs through SMU from facilities to admissions etc.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:34 am

5 years
Nacho

Postby Pony81 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:57 am

Morris needs to get 4-5 AAC wins this year to get that WOW factor working. Then he is off to the races.

If he rolls in 3-9 or worse then he won't get any momentun in recruiting.

Something tells me that this team will over achieve and we will see a middle tier AAC team at year end.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Pony_Law wrote:

Yes but Gary Patterson has upgraded the TCU job and they are in a position to make a solid hire once he leaves. Also remember TCU (and recently SMU) was among the very few G5 programs who paid like a Power school and that may have helped in keeping him there. Like someone else mentioned, TCU took advantage of their SWC/power league past and dominated these smaller leagues, we did not. We are paying Chad well and I'm sure we will pony up 3 or 4 million if that is what it will take him to stay a few more years after he gets us competitive again, and I don't mean 7 to 9 wins...I'm talking TCU/Boise 10 plus win territory which is very doable with the level of competition in our future schedules.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Nacho wrote:5 years

Yes.
ponyboy

Postby gostangs » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Boy I totally disagree with you 81. It would be great to get the mo this year but there is no expectation for it. 3 wins would be just fine. Recruits are not stupid - they will see the progress. These coaches flat out work their [deleted] off. I have never been as pumped as I am now for what we have coming. Hell June mailed it in on recruiting and got to three bowls in this league. Chad can and will own it in three years.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Ron Meyer got all the momentum he needed from a 3-8 season-he did beat Arkansas in Shreveport 35-31 at the gun in season finale -but it was style of play and his personality which significantly increased recruiting success. That was an excellent-muy Bueno- bridge class that played a big role in turning program around including Mike Ford who was an All-American candidate and Freshman All-American until tearing up his knee
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:06 pm

Meyer said to win your first game, win your last game, and beat your biggest rival to gain momentum.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball