PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jonathan Williams III Visit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jonathan Williams III Visit

Postby PonyKai » Thu May 21, 2015 3:03 pm

I'd guess we'll be sitting her June 1st steamed that KU landed Vick and JWIII.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Thu May 21, 2015 3:33 pm

Don't these guys know that Self is the student. Why play for the student when you could play for the master? (I know that JW isn't so sure the master will be here long enough for his ride).
ojaipony

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:07 pm

OK- how much longer do you all put LB here? The son has another year at least, right? and does the daughter start this year or next? Assuming she will even go to SMU (I think Meadows should appeal to her with her drama acting or whatever it is she is interested in) With all the family stuff said and his health staying good AND Turner not doing anything odd like not renewing etc... What are your thoughts? He says he will stay as long as he feels he can make an impact teach etc. Well, while we have come a long way- we still much to improve.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Daughter starts in the fall
smupony94

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I really don't see him leaving before JW3 plays. If daughter starts in the fall I assume wife is moving here as well. Not that all this can't be done with him not coaching...
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Wonder how many scholly KU has left? They are also interested in Paschal Chukwu and he has interest in them...

I read that after Vick they have 1 left.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Fri May 22, 2015 8:33 am

dudebrobra wrote:May have to wait a bit longer

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/5/21/8636991/zags-eyeing-key-transfer-johntahan-williams-update

After taking visits to Gonzaga, SMU and Georgetown, Williams knows what will be key for his final choice. However, there may be one more trip before a decision is made.

"I'm looking to find a school that can help me become a great player and a great person," he revealed. "I also want a place that will really teach me the game. I might take a visit to Kansas on May 29th or 30th. After that visit, I'd sit down with my family and make a choice."

Any possibility that Self tells JWIII to take SMU over those other two if he does not take KU? I am not so sure that the Kansas visit is a bad thing. If Kansas tells him he will get sig PT, he might go there - sure. Surprised that MIzzou would let that happen. But I could see Self helping LB out as well, but telling JWIII not to take Zags or G-town. He will get the more PT at SMU over KU.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri May 22, 2015 8:38 am

I'd surmise they wouldn't have him in for a visit just to tell him to go to Dallas. Easily accomplished with a phone call saying "no space, go play for Larry."
PonyKai

Postby PonyTime » Fri May 22, 2015 8:48 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:I'd surmise they wouldn't have him in for a visit just to tell him to go to Dallas. Easily accomplished with a phone call saying "no space, go play for Larry."

Oh - I am sure that they want him. But perhaps they can not promise the PT that Larry could. Am sure he will have an offer. But he does not take the KU offer - Self could help influence.

If he wants KU and KU wants him - then it is over anyway.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Not so. As you say, depends on playing time and need at the position.
ponyboy

Postby KWhiz77 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 pm

There is 1 spot left. They have reached out to others as well that have major interest and are top players. Question is who is the main focus? This could possibly help our chances with JW3, right?
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby dudebrobra » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Zags have 3 spots open for '15

They will lose at least 2 bigs after next season (consensus 2nd team All-American Kyle Wiltjer & also All-WCC rim protector Przemek Karnowski). They could also potentially lose Domantas Sabonis (projected 1st rounder in next year's draft).

So, Zags may be in need of an experienced big, and they've done tremendous work transforming 2 bigs into All-Americans after they redshirted (Kelly Olynyk and then Kyle Wiltjer)
dudebrobra

Postby KWhiz77 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

It is Kansas that concerns me most... The others def are strong comp but I see him going to Kansas above all.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Gonzaga offers him early playing time (just like we do) but man it's far away. Dallas is just a 6hr drive for his family from Memphis, plus we will likely play a game in Memphis each of the two years he's eligible.

Not sure about how much playing time he could reasonably expect to get at KU-- they have two five star bigs committed for 2015 (although Diallo might be one & done) and I believe they're also pursuing that 7'2" transfer from Providence.

Bottom line- he can stay relatively close to home, be virtually guaranteed a starting spot in 2016-17, and play for Larry Brown while getting a great education. We have a lot to offer...sounds like his biggest reservation about SMU was that LB wouldn't stay for the 3 years he'd be here. Hope he knows that Larry's daughter starts in the Fall as a freshman.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon May 25, 2015 8:31 pm

TigerJ wrote:He isn't going to SMU. #sources

Will Memphis ever win at New Moody? Maybe ya'll can steal one back up at FedEx and avoid getting swept for a second consecutive year
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball