PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Young Alumni Happy Hour????

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Young Alumni Happy Hour????

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:19 pm

I got this in my email today - I think that it is a great idea - and I hope that it brings more of our alums to the game - but I am a little confused . . . questions below . . .

Join the Fun & Bring a Friend !

The Dallas-area SMU Young Alumni Associates cordially invites you to a
Pre-game Mixer at the Radisson Hotel / Central Dallas before the SMU vs.
Tulsa Men's Basketball Game

Where: The Radisson Hotel / Central Dallas
6060 N. Central Expy (between Mockingbird and SMU Blvd.)

When: TODAY! February 19th, 5:00 p.m. - 6:45 p.m.(7:05 p.m. game time)

Cost: $5 per person

*Please call Jennifer Johnson in the Office of Alumni Relations at
214-768-4739 for your pre-game mixer reservation. Appetizers will be
provided, optional beverages available for purchase. Please call the
Athletic Ticket Office at 214-SMU-GAME to purchase game tickets for a
special 2 for 1 price.

Three questions for those of you in the know . . .

1.) Why is this at the Radisson Hotel? Might as well be at the Hilltop Inn - what a dump.

2.) Why does it cost $5 to go to this? Are the appetizers at the Radisson really that good?

3.) Is Jennifer Johnson the same person as Jenny Johnson that once worked in Alumni as well as the Football Recruiting office?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU Young Alumni Happy Hour????

Postby Eddie P » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:55 pm

Considering the last event they held had about 7 people there, myself included, I wouldn't get too excited. It would be nice if there was a little communciation between them and the athletic office to perhaps coordinate with the existing young alumni who are involved with athletics...

Oh well...

Postby DiamondM » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:35 pm

A couple of years ago there was one at the Hoffbrau House and there were about 30 people there, a pretty good turn out. I know over 15 people have already rsvp'd for tonight. No it's not a lot, but if everyone says no one is going so I'm not going, then the circle never ends.

On a different note, what do you mean by coordinate with you? You want to be notified separately from the rest of the young alumni? I am on the YAA Programming Committee, and though I am not in charge of this event, had something to do with it. And I myself am often frustrated by the fact that the various alumni and student groups don't do a great job of coordinating with our athletic events. I try to insist that no event clash with a major athletic event, and in many suggest combining events where possible. Your suggestions are welcome.

Incidentally, while I am a young alum according to the SMU Alumni Association, apparently there is a different qualification with the Mustang Club and athletic department (which I have told Reid about). I have never been contacted by the Young Mustang Club, and alas do not get the young alum discount on my season tickets.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:31 pm

Diamond M-

With regards to coordination, I simply meant that if someone had called someone within the Mustang Club (which they didn't because nobody knew about it on that end except Shawn) then we could have perhaps collaborated and drawn more people to the event. I do not personally need to be informed about anything. I was simply inquiring as to if there was any communication prior to this event. I would like to see it be successful if it will get more people to the game. We could easily bring several dozen people if given the opportunity and some forewarning...we've never had less than that at one of our events.

As far as young alum status within the athletic department, that is defined as 5 years after graduation. I did not set that date and I would personally love to see it be a little higher. As far as communication regarding young mustang club events, we are hard at work at identifying whom within the existing Mustang Club membership that would apply to so that they too can be informed about the events being held. And as was stated better on the other board, I don't consider mid-thirties old.

Perhaps we can find a way to help support each other's events. That's all I was saying. It might have come out sounding a bit negative in tone and for that I apologize.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 02-19-2003).]

Postby PonyTime » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:09 pm

My real questions pertained to why the Alumni Assn. needs to charge the young alums $5 to stop by the Radisson before the basketball game.

Seriously - a $5 cover + the fact that reservations seem to be required + the choice of location = few young alums will actually show up for this.

Just my guess.

I would be interested in hearing from Diamond M to see how it went . . .
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball