PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

'lil Avery Johnson leaving A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 'lil Avery Johnson leaving A&M

Postby mavsrage311 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:29 am

hoopmanx wrote:I'm not an expert on Jarreys game but I've always been underwhelmed by Hogg. This class is our first that has eligibility in mind, but also 4 year contributors. If we keep cleaning up w transfers, it's the perfect kind of class for the way we build. I don't think rankings touch how good this class is for the direction of the program.

That may be the case, but I'm a huge fan of the Plano West kids. Especially comparing Foster (who we stole from Rice) to Hogg, who is the best shooter his size in the class and has offers from almost all of the perennial powers, is a huge reach.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Sat May 09, 2015 7:02 am

mavsrage311 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:I'm not an expert on Jarreys game but I've always been underwhelmed by Hogg. This class is our first that has eligibility in mind, but also 4 year contributors. If we keep cleaning up w transfers, it's the perfect kind of class for the way we build. I don't think rankings touch how good this class is for the direction of the program.

That may be the case, but I'm a huge fan of the Plano West kids. Especially comparing Foster (who we stole from Rice) to Hogg, who is the best shooter his size in the class and has offers from almost all of the perennial powers, is a huge reach.

You called them the Plano West kids, which is sorta my point about the respective classes. Many value A&M's around here b/c the kids are local. We have very different takes on Hogg. I've only seen him on the national circuit winning rarely, dominating never. At least in AAU, he disappeared. When the Titans did win, it was b/c McClure scored at will or Davis actually got the ball. Certainly, Hogg has his offers, but I'm pretty sure Jarrey would have had his share if he actually played junior yr AAU w/Texas Pro as was planned. These things are never this cut'n'dried. He committed to Rice after he blew out his knee and thought that was as good as it gets. Had he waited till now to sign, he'd have a ton of offers. Either way, Jarrey is our 12th man w/no expectations. Same cycle, we grab Semi who is essentially a wannabe SF as well. LIke I said, they got better bigs, we have better wings and guards.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Sat May 09, 2015 9:22 am

... And your last sentence is the counterintuitive head scratcher considering we are an inside out team under LB, right?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Sat May 09, 2015 11:37 am

[deleted] aTm.

Thomas went there because Gilder went there. Gilder went there bc of lil' Johnson. But now that they are both there, I'm sure they stay there together. I have no idea why Hogg and Davis went. I hope they have a dogshit season. If we get JW3, we end up having a better roster (although JW3 can't play this coming season).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball