PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who will show up tonight?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who will show up tonight?

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:15 pm

Will we see the Bball team that played out in Nevada and FSU or will it be the team that beat Tulsa and Haweii?

I hope Dement has motivated this team to play some defense. And I hope oour offense shows up tonight.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Who will show up tonight?

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:30 pm

1st 10 minutes suggest the Ponies are playing tougher defense, but it's showing with a "tired" shooting performance. Depth will be the key. Do 8 guys play well tonight?
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:58 pm

Sounds like the defense fell apart at the end of the half and even worse offense than the road trip.

If the Ponies keep this up, I will quit following them. I will give them about 25 more years to turn it around If they don't, then I will give up on them.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:02 pm

I'm with you on that 25 yr time frame. That might be the level of my patience. Ross & Hopkins a combined 1-10 from the field for 3 pts in the 1st half. Who'da thunked it? Good thing Simpson is playing a great game.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyte » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:54 pm

Seems we have a tough time stopping the 3-pointer. It does sound like an exciting game.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:10 am

Sounded like we actually defended better, but Swanson just got hot and of course he's one of the best 3 pt shooters in the country. Big loss, for sure. Won't be easy to finish this season as a .500 team now.

Once again, a very exciting home game. Season ticket holders are getting their money's worth of entertainment, provided they didn't have expectations we'd go unbeaten at home. Was nice to hear a little bit of crowd noise down the stretch. Sounded like we had a little more than the usual 3,000 tonight (maybe those were Tulsa fans?) ***crowd just announced at 3126 so it must have been the Tulsa fans***

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 02-19-2003).]
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:32 am

Same 'ole stuff. We can't shoot and they hit 3's...what else is new.

Nice job Pat!
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:54 am

This is bull**** guys. Tulsa shot 56% from three point land... I can't defend Dement anymore... late season breakdowns, poor defense, jesus, does he ever get control of these guys?! Team after team has disappointed...that's just BAD coaching my friends. It's time to get a new guy in there, period. We HAVE talent. We need to push Dement outta there, now!!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:23 pm

Yeah, we HAVE talent....that can't shoot. The coach can't get out on the floor and shoot the ball for the guys. I've got news for you guys...there was another team out on the floor tonight and they did a good job of defense on us making it difficult for our guys to make their shots. For what ever reason, everyone is ready to blame the bad results on the coach as if the talent or play of the other team is irrelavent. We have one freshman and three sophmores starting...what exactly can you realistically expect?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:48 pm

PK, you ignoring the past eight years. Practically every team under Dement has not performed down the stretch. Teams get BETTER as the year progresses, but we stay the same... our defense doesn't get better or worse, teams just start shooting better. You can have all the talent you want, but unless someone is drawing up schemes and coaching them with any knowledge of the game, then they aren't going to perform. Great coaches coach great teams...great coaches make good players great. COACHING IS WHAT WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. You think these little mid major programs get any better talent than us? Hell no...but they have better coaches and kids that are willing to bust their asses for them.

OPEN YOUR EYES!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:46 pm

UNFM06, this is the first team Dement has had in a awhile that seems to be willing to play as a team and they are playing much better now than at the first of the season. Last night they were making good plays to get the ball inside although the points were not always made and they were playing good enough defense to keep us in the game. In the first half, our go to guys with the exception of Simpson could not hit the side of a barn. Sh*t happens...get over it.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Basketball