PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

not much on the bright side right now.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

not much on the bright side right now.

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:00 am

Big game. Big loss. That one hurt. Not just losing, but the way it was lost with a collapse down the stretch. The refs did us no favors, particularly the tall one. I guess thats what you get when you draw a small, quiet crowd. I usually defend the crowd somewhat, but tonight was pathetic. Even the cheerleaders were nonexistent, but thats been the case all this season.

I usually dont engage in the coach talk either, but Dement overcoached tonight. The players are looking over at the bench too much, nobody is leading on the floor. Not even Q. Its almost as if Dement became even more of a control freak than he was before. I gave him credit for backing off early this season. Now, the team is flat, the fans are flat, the program is flat. Somebody deserves some credit though for getting the big guys involved and playing because Castro and Simpson were very good tonight and seem to be on a roll.

Bottom line though is I think the lack of good crowd let the team down tonight. But the fan base is really down right now, at 12-12, 7-7 and several years of mediocrity thats not surprising. Fact is, the alums/students/fans are just not gonna lift this program. Apparently, the Committment is not gonna do it either because the idea of renovating Moody is either dead or a well kept secret. Its going to have to come from the coaches and team at this point to pull this thing up by the bootstraps and get something going.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball