PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The closest Allen Iverson comes to a regret

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The closest Allen Iverson comes to a regret

Postby Pony^ » Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 pm

"The closest thing, that I would say, to having a regret, is not letting Larry Brown coach me the way I did once I conformed to whatever he was trying to get through to me," Iverson said. "When I was fighting with him all the time, and 99.9 percent of the time it was my fault -- just being so young and not knowing."

From 1998-2003, Brown -- then the head coach of the 76ers -- and Iverson went at it. Without Larry Brown, there's no practice press conference. But without Larry Brown, there's probably no trip to the Finals in 2001. The two, despite constantly being at each other's throats, were successful on the hardwood.

And today, they still remain close, with Iverson paying a visit to Brown's current team, SMU, last year.

"You never miss something until it's gone," Iverson said of Brown. "And that's when it bothered me the most, because when he was gone, that's when I realized how much I really missed him and needed him."

But that's it. That's all Iverson regrets. And as he reflects on his career -- one that will eventually end up in the Hall of Fame -- as he grows older, he understands just how good he had it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25185539/video-allen-iverson-has-no-regrets-would-do-it-all-again
Pony^
All-American

Re: The closest Allen Iverson comes to a regret

Postby Pony^ » Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Ex-NBA PG Chauncey Billups: SMU’s Larry Brown is the best coach I’ve ever played for

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/ex-nba-pg-chauncey-billups-smus-larry-brown-is-the-best-coach-ive-ever-played-for.html/
Pony^
All-American

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Damn! I know our guys love LB but I truly hope they realize what a priceless dream they are living!!! #legend
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Junior » Fri May 15, 2015 9:49 am

KWhiz77 wrote:Damn! I know our guys love LB but I truly hope they realize what a priceless dream they are living!!! #legend

man, hearing AI say that has to hit home with a lot of these guys. they HAVE to realize that this is where they will learn the most about playing the game. they all have athletic ability at this point, but using that to its fullest and getting the most out of it is due to great coaching a lot of times.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 15, 2015 10:05 am

That is the ultimate sign of respect. Thanks for posting.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Ponyneighbor » Fri May 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Can someone please send that article to JWIII? No, seriously like before he goes to Kansas
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby KWhiz77 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:Can someone please send that article to JWIII? No, seriously like before he goes to Kansas

Seriously was my first thought as well! Also, to all the kids who look at SMU and don't take our program seriously.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Mestengo » Sat May 16, 2015 11:16 am

I sat through one full Larry Brown practice and can't understand how anyone can get through it haha love you Larry
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 am

Since when did Allen, wouldn't pass the ball to myself if I was open, Iverson become the role model? lol...just sayin. I'd have loved to have a poll of this board and whether they liked or hated AI about 15 years ago.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Mestengo » Sun May 17, 2015 9:41 am

For some reason I'm always attracted to people who are different and successful - even if they are young, dumb like we all were. Save the ghetto gang banger wardrobe. SIXER for life at a buck sixty five In the rafters!
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Sun May 17, 2015 9:48 am

JW3 doesn't need to be sold on the greatness of LB. His concern is that LB won't be here for his run here (he was quoted in a free Rivals article saying exactly that . . . loved SMU, love LB, but concern is that LB won't be here much longer . . . so whatever they told him didn't really put his concern at rest and if that's a big concern of his it's enough to have go to one of these other schools - Izzo isn't going anywhere nor is Thompson). The catch 22 with having LB here. The sales pitch shouldn't be about if LB will be here for x more years, it should be "well, when I do decide to leave here's the succession plan and I will always be around the program offering assistance here and there, I can't stay away really" etc etc) . . We HAVE to start laying that foundation NOW . . . I want SUSTAINED success at SMU, not just 2-3 years here, 1 year there, etc which seems to be our history . . .
ojaipony

Postby Mestengo » Sun May 17, 2015 10:14 am

plenty of others that can get the job done out there
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Sun May 17, 2015 10:26 am

Mestengo wrote:plenty of others that can get the job done out there

Just keep David Miller happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Mestengo » Sun May 17, 2015 10:40 am

they won't be running out of money anytime soon and they look pretty happy to me
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball