PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nic Moore Joining KU Team @ World Univ. Games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nic Moore Joining KU Team @ World Univ. Games

Postby Harry0569 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 am

SMU's Nic Moore is joining Kansas team that's repping U.S. in World Univ. Games. If KU could keep him, they'd be the clear No. 1 in '15-16.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Nic Moore Joining KU Team @ World Univ. Games

Postby DiamondM » Thu May 21, 2015 10:24 am

I'm sure Larry Brown is just helping out his friend Bill Self. And it will be good for Nic to play this summer.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Thu May 21, 2015 10:25 am

Yep, he's just filling in due to non-US players and injury. Will be great experience and exposure.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Ponyneighbor » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am

... And in return, he lets us have JWIII? I'm cool with that
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Thu May 21, 2015 10:29 am

Also, pretty sure Nic didn't graduate (can anyone confirm?), so KU can't "keep" him for 15-16. No way Nic is sitting out his senior year to transfer and play at KU in 16-17. This is just a great opportunity for Nic, and great recognition of his skill that KU wants our guy.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

Larry's biggest plus in recruiting is "I get you exposure and access to things you wont get otherwise - and I put the player first".

This is a great example and should help shine light on the advantage of SMU going forward to the talented recruits.
gostangs

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 am

DALLAS (SMU) - Nic Moore will join the Kansas men's basketball roster for the 2015 World University Games announced Jayhawk's head coach Bill Self. Moore and Kansas are the Team USA representatives in Pool D of the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea, from July 3-14.

"Coach Larry Brown and Coach Tim Jankovich told me I would have the opportunity go with Kansas to represent the USA and go overseas and play," Moore said. "I've never been overseas to experience that, but the opportunity to be able to play with a great program and to represent the USA, that's a big accomplishment and feels great."

"The reason we are taking a player from another school is Svi (Mykhailiuk) cannot go and Brannen (Greene) is not going to be able to compete because of his hip surgery, so we were down to only three perimeter players going into this last week," Self said. "With the addition of a potential recruit, that would be four, so we are still a player short. With our relationship with Jank (Jankovich) and Coach Brown, they said if we needed anybody, they have a kid that would love to go, that kid being Nic. We're taking the (2015) American Athletic Conference Player of the Year. They do a lot of the same things we do so it will be an easy blend for our guys. That will give us Frank (Mason III), Devonte' (Graham), Wayne (Selden, Jr.) and Nic (at the guard positions). We want to take another perimeter player so we are going to wait and see if a recruit can take that fifth spot.”

Twenty-four teams will compete in the 2015 Games. There are four pools of six teams each. The International University Sports Federation (FISU) which governs the World University Games established the criteria for selecting each pool based on previous WUG results, previous participation in the Games, continental representation and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rankings. Following the five games in pool competition, the teams will be seeded for bracket play with the top two teams from each pool battling for a medal.

"I love the game of basketball," Moore said. "I'm always going to play hard. I'm a team player. Regardless of what I do, I just wish the best outcome for the team -- and that would be a victory. Me being there is great and I just want to help and be positive, that's if I'm playing or if I'm on the bench. That's just who I am. I'm a team person."

Moore earned the American Athletic Conference Player of the Year and AP All-America Honorable Mention accolades this season as he led the Mustangs in scoring (14.5), assists (5.1) and steals (1.3). He helped SMU capture its first regular season conference championship in 22 years.

The guard from Winona Lake, Indiana, started all 34 games for the Mustangs and was the conference leader in free-throw percentage (.875) and three-point percentage (.416). Moore was named to The American All-Championship team after the Mustangs also won the tournament title. Moore was a unanimous All-AAC first team selection and a first-team honoree by the NABC in District 25.

SMU finished the season 27-7 and made its first appearance in the NCAA tournament since 1993. The Mustangs won The American regular season championship with a 15-3 record and claimed its first tournament title since 1988 with a 62-54 victory over Connecticut in Hartford. SMU has the most wins (54) in a two-year span in program history.

"Nic is one of the best guards in the country, period," Self said. "He can play on the ball and off the ball. He's little, so we'll have three little guys running around there sometimes."

Joining the USA National Team in Pool D is Serbia, Brazil, Turkey, Chile and Switzerland. The USA has won 13 World University Games gold medals, three silvers and three bronze since the inception of the games in 1965. The USA's last WUG gold medal came in 2005. The USA is 1-0 in the World University Games against Serbia with a 68-66 victory in 2009. Serbia later won the 2009 WUG gold medal and USA the bronze. The USA is 8-0 against Brazil with the last meeting in 2001, at USA 99-67 victory. The USA squad is 1-0 versus Turkey with the lone meeting in 2001, a 113-90 decision. The USA has yet to face Chile or Switzerland in World University Games competition.

There are five facilities which will host the men's and women's basketball competitions. Included are Jeonju Indoor Gymnasium, Muan Indoor Gymnasium, Muan Chodang University Gymnasium, Yeonggwang Sportium Gymnasium and Donkang College Gymnasium.

With more than 150 countries competing in 21 sports, the World University Games are held every two years and are governed by FISU and the 2015 Games are the 28th. Only current university student-athletes or recent graduates, born between Jan. 1, 1990, and Dec. 31, 1997, are eligible for the 2015 Games. For Kansas' participation, only U.S. citizens can compete and incoming freshmen and transfers qualify. The Kansas travel party, consisting of 12 competitors and staff (24 total), will leave Lawrence June 28 and live in the athlete village throughout the Games.

This is the second time a college team will compete in the World University Games. In 2007, the University of Northern Iowa participated and finished ninth in Bangkok, Thailand.

2015 World University Games Pools
Pool A -- Korea, Estonia, Germany, China, Angola, Mozambique
Pool B -- Russia, Canada, Mexico, Mongolia, Sweden, Montenegro
Pool C -- Australia, Lithuania, Finland, Japan, France, Chinese Taipei
Pool D -- Serbia, Brazil, USA, Turkey, Chile, Switzerland
smupony94

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 21, 2015 11:07 am

This is awesome. What a great opportunity for Nic.

I will admit I was a bit scared when I saw "Moore Joins Kansas" on twitter though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DiamondM » Thu May 21, 2015 11:28 am

94, where'd you get that story? Can you post a link?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby blackoutpony » Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 am

smupony94 wrote:Self said. "With the addition of a potential recruit, that would be four, so we are still a player short. With our relationship with Jank (Jankovich) and Coach Brown, they said if we needed anybody, they have a kid that would love to go, that kid being Nic. We want to take another perimeter player so we are going to wait and see if a recruit can take that fifth spot.”

Ironic as hell considering he's talking about Vick....... Grrrrrr.......... :evil:
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Zman89 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:36 am

Nic will be at SMU for the 15-16 season.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 am

DiamondM wrote:94, where'd you get that story? Can you post a link?

Google nic Moore Kansas
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM » Thu May 21, 2015 11:46 am

I did google, and couldn't find that particular article. I wanted to link that one because of all the good quotes from Nic & Coach Brown rather than a more Kansas centric article for all my Jayhawk friends back home in Kansas.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 pm

DiamondM wrote:I did google, and couldn't find that particular article. I wanted to link that one because of all the good quotes from Nic & Coach Brown rather than a more Kansas centric article for all my Jayhawk friends back home in Kansas.

It's on the SMU site...

http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052115aaa.html
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby GiddyUp » Thu May 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Zman89 wrote:Nic will be at SMU for the 15-16 season.

Thank you Zman
GiddyUp

Next

Return to Basketball