PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The casual fan

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The casual fan

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 21, 2015 7:19 pm

So the casual fan is always scanning the horizon for a team to root for. Usually it's because of a character or two, be it on the court or bench. But first and foremost the team has to be good.

Our team is the perfect fit. We need to be pounding home this fact. Pounding it home. LB. Nic Moore. Markus. Deeper cuts are Ben Moore and Sterling Brown.

So much for the casual fan to love about this team. Are we fully taking advantage of that?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The casual fan

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 pm

I'd like to see some billboards in the DFW area this year with Larry, Markus, and Nic. Two exciting players who are easy to root for and one of the best coaches of all time....not that we need help selling tickets now, but just to generate interest in the area and maybe help pad the TV ratings locally.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I'd like to see some billboards in the DFW area this year with Larry, Markus, and Nic. Two exciting players who are easy to root for and one of the best coaches of all time....not that we need help selling tickets now, but just to generate interest in the area and maybe help pad the TV ratings locally.

Yes. I posted this last year, we need to get on those electronic billboards like the Mavs do advertising the matchup giving the channel and time of each game.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Yeah it would be great to have more interest, but isn't it a waste of money to push basketball when we don't need to sell any tickets?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:38 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Yeah it would be great to have more interest, but isn't it a waste of money to push basketball when we don't need to sell any tickets?

We need TV viewers too
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Yeah it would be great to have more interest, but isn't it a waste of money to push basketball when we don't need to sell any tickets?

You always need to sell tickets. The same people do not buy the same tickets every year. You have to keep the interest so they are always people wanting tickets.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu May 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Good points.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:08 pm

And it's not just to sell the tkts. Building excitement and fans in Dallas. We dont really have that and we should. You dont have to be an SMU grad to get excited, support and maybe just buy a tkt to a game or two. There should be buzz around town on game days. We might be a smaller university than some and so what that we had a lot if woes- our program can rival these larger schools any old day.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 pm

We've got a nice product.
ponyboy

Postby Mestengo » Fri May 22, 2015 8:34 am

Sell on Stubhub great marketing.
BB hasn't got any problems.
It's the thing that happens after the white dress, boots, and booze gathering. .
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Fri May 22, 2015 11:39 am

You could always do more to try to attract dfw casual fans but talking to ppl at the games in concession lines, etc. there are a decent amount of non-alum hoops fan that cometo see our on court product. I think we are doing a pretty decentjob of that and getting dfw recruits is always a huge boost.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:19 pm

I remember a time when I was in high school, I think, when Van Halen played a free concert in Dallas and I found out about it later. Could have kicked myself as I loved the band at the time. How come nobody told me? was all that kept running through my mind. How come nobody told me?

Well how come we are not shouting from the rooftops that our local team, coached by Larry Freaking Brown, is really, really good and getting better? How many people are missing the Van Halen concert right under their noses? There is so much to love about this team and how we play the right way.
ponyboy

Postby Mestengo » Fri May 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Dude you need a hug
((((pb))))) lol
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Fri May 22, 2015 1:06 pm

van halen. really???
Nacho

Postby PonyKai » Fri May 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Van Halen was -- was -- one of the greatest rock bands of all time. And did outstanding live shows. That was 30 years ago.
PonyKai

Next

Return to Basketball