PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Investigation?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NCAA Investigation?

Postby hoopmanx » Thu May 28, 2015 7:25 pm

I think hiring someone to replace Ulric, that is better than Ulric, is far more important to our recruiting than sanctions. Get another sniper and roll
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Hoopmanx wrote:I think hiring someone to replace Ulric, that is better than Ulric, is far more important to our recruiting than sanctions. Get another sniper and roll

Any news on the rumored candidate from a few weeks ago?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Thu May 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Thought the USC guy was it
GiddyUp

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun May 31, 2015 10:35 pm

This crap needs to be put to bed. Say "we know what it will be" all you want...try convincing a kid and parents that it really is going to be nothing when you know their parents know about the death penalty and every other programs is reminding them about LB and his reputation at every turn. We all love him, but I'm here in Philly where they adore Larry and everyone here repeats the mantra "he's a great coach and a great guy, but you know he can't keep a clean program and he sure as hell won't stay long." No matter how much we say this crap isn't affecting us, it is. No matter how much we know he is more stable here than ever before and there really isn't anything to worry about with the NCAA, 18 year olds and conspiracy theories mix like idiots and morons after midnight. This [deleted] needs to end now.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby RebStang » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:54 am

So, I've had a few beers and am in no mood to mince words early this morning...

When it comes time for our folks to meet with the crooks from the NCAA, I'd line the walls of the room with every lawyer in the country that specializes in working with institutions in their dealings with the NCAA and make it perfectly clear that we' will sue them and sue them and sue them 3 or 4 more times if our "punishment" for whatever they decide to find us guilty of is even on the same level as what UNC gets for blatant academic fraud or what Alabama got for paying a high school coach $200,000 for a football player or Mississippi State paying players not to go on visits to other schools or, really, any of the myriad minor slaps on the wrist that P5 programs have gotten recently.

Essentially, I'd make it clear that SMU will make it our institutional mission in life to take down the NCAA once and for all if they apply their typical [deleted] P5 favoring enforcement.
RebStang
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 am

Condisering men's golf was also a major part of the NCAA investigation, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the NCAA announced our penalties today.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:44 am

RebStang wrote:So, I've had a few beers and am in no mood to mince words early this morning...

When it comes time for our folks to meet with the crooks from the NCAA, I'd line the walls of the room with every lawyer in the country that specializes in working with institutions in their dealings with the NCAA and make it perfectly clear that we' will sue them and sue them and sue them 3 or 4 more times if our "punishment" for whatever they decide to find us guilty of is even on the same level as what UNC gets for blatant academic fraud or what Alabama got for paying a high school coach $200,000 for a football player or Mississippi State paying players not to go on visits to other schools or, really, any of the myriad minor slaps on the wrist that P5 programs have gotten recently.

Essentially, I'd make it clear that SMU will make it our institutional mission in life to take down the NCAA once and for all if they apply their typical [deleted] P5 favoring enforcement.

Yes that strategy worked so well last time-what do you think we did in the 1980s. We had the lawyers, we had the private investigators, we took a hard-line, uncooperative, antagonistic stance against the NCAA. The threat evaporated when the facts came out and it was worse than suspected. Thank god Bill Clements and his idiot band of blowhards aren't running this school anymore. The NCAA was sued by some of the dumbasses and they lost
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby couch 'em » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Didn't they lose on the grounds that they had no standing to sue? Not really applicable to thr discussion. Not that I advocate suing.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the school refused to join in the legal response to the death penalty. This led to the ruling that they lacked standing. This was pointed out many times during the PSU case where the state threatened to sue. I would say the softer approach would work better, but that goes against recent examples where the NCAA had been shown to new weak and relatively powerless. I wouldn't roll in with the whole dream team...just an impressive enough line to deliver the message that we will make it our goal to decimate the very foundation of the NCAA's existence of our penalty is anywhere within the same galaxy as UNC-VoTech Institute of the UnApplied Sciences.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm

It may be that the first response to my post will be someone telling me to spring for one of the pay sites. I suppose that is fair enough. And it may be that the outcome is as suggested previously.

But I hope someone will give me (us) an update about the investigation.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 pm

No Quarter wrote:It may be that the first response to my post will be someone telling me to spring for one of the pay sites. I suppose that is fair enough. And it may be that the outcome is as suggested previously.

But I hope someone will give me (us) an update about the investigation.

My understanding is we met with NCAA back in May and will hear something next month. If I'm wrong I'll give you a full refund.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony Boss » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 pm

Please "pony up" the cash, those guys are doing a great job over there.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:36 am

It's a joke right? We pay $$$ to the school to support the program and we need to spend more money to some pay site because The school discloses no information about the investigation into the program we support. You couldn't make this nonsense up.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 am

Or maybe they haven't said anything because they don't know anything yet from the NCAA. No need to find drama where there is none.
gostangs

Postby smusportspage » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 am

There you go again talking sense and not letting speculation get in the way of reality.
smusportspage
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball