PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Investigation?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NCAA Investigation?

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:04 am

smusportspage wrote:There you go again talking sense and not letting speculation get in the way of reality.

I hate it when that happens.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the school refused to join in the legal response to the death penalty. This led to the ruling that they lacked standing. This was pointed out many times during the PSU case where the state threatened to sue. I would say the softer approach would work better, but that goes against recent examples where the NCAA had been shown to new weak and relatively powerless. I wouldn't roll in with the whole dream team...just an impressive enough line to deliver the message that we will make it our goal to decimate the very foundation of the NCAA's existence of our penalty is anywhere within the same galaxy as UNC-VoTech Institute of the UnApplied Sciences.

You are correct. BTW, study how Jerry Tarkanian fought and won against the NCAA during the time period when we were given the DP. Totally different strategy and totally different outcome. There was a longstanding contingent at SMU who wanted to end varsity sports when the scandal hit in the 80s and they leapt to fill the power void when everyone else was implicated. They actually were happy to see the downfall of athletics. A handful of SMU supporters kept the whole thing on life support until some of the big cigars decided to devote their resources to save Division 1 sports. So here we are.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Topper wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the school refused to join in the legal response to the death penalty. This led to the ruling that they lacked standing. This was pointed out many times during the PSU case where the state threatened to sue. I would say the softer approach would work better, but that goes against recent examples where the NCAA had been shown to new weak and relatively powerless. I wouldn't roll in with the whole dream team...just an impressive enough line to deliver the message that we will make it our goal to decimate the very foundation of the NCAA's existence of our penalty is anywhere within the same galaxy as UNC-VoTech Institute of the UnApplied Sciences.

You are correct. BTW, study how Jerry Tarkanian fought and won against the NCAA during the time period when we were given the DP. Totally different strategy and totally different outcome. There was a longstanding contingent at SMU who wanted to end varsity sports when the scandal hit in the 80s and they leapt to fill the power void when everyone else was implicated. They actually were happy to see the downfall of athletics. A handful of SMU supporters kept the whole thing on life support until some of the big cigars decided to devote their resources to save Division 1 sports. So here we are.

Get all these kids and their balls off my lawn!!!

First, I am sure we know what we are getting.
Second, I am sure everyone who finds a date on the internet thinks the photo is actually the person they are about to meet.
Third, I am 100% sure anyone who thinks the word of the NCAA or the pictures on Tinder are trustworthy is an idiot.

I bet we are certain we know our fate at the hands of the hypocrites...but I know we would all sleep much better if they publicly released that ruling and went on the record.

I also want to know if we get a discount for all services rendered for SMU by our esteemed former recruiter's new company? I mean, we get the pain and he gets a new job...a little payback never got anyone in trouble....oh crap, and here we go again!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 am

Puckhead48E wrote:
Topper wrote:

Second, I am sure everyone who finds a date on the internet thinks the photo is actually the person they are about to meet.
Third, I am 100% sure anyone who thinks the word of the NCAA or the pictures on Tinder are trustworthy is an idiot.

I bet we are certain we know our fate at the hands of the hypocrites...but I know we would all sleep much better if they publicly released that ruling and went on the record.

I also want to know if we get a discount for all services rendered for SMU by our esteemed former recruiter's new company? I mean, we get the pain and he gets a new job...a little payback never got anyone in trouble....oh crap, and here we go again!

Your last paragraph is intuitive. Ulric is in a very good position to help SMU moving forward.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 am

Did we help set him up with this gig? If so then we turned a potential adversary into an ally?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:37 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Did we help set him up with this gig? If so then we turned a potential adversary into an ally?

Ulric was never ever going to be an adversary. The barbershops are going to talk their talk but Ulric is and will always be an ally. He's a good dude that flew too close to the sun b/c that's what he was hired to do. Sometimes there are casualties.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 am

hoopmanx wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:Did we help set him up with this gig? If so then we turned a potential adversary into an ally?

Ulric was never ever going to be an adversary. The barbershops are going to talk their talk but Ulric is and will always be an ally. He's a good dude that flew too close to the sun b/c that's what he was hired to do. Sometimes there are casualties.

Great two posts. Thanks for the info. All very interesting.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:10 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:
Topper wrote:[quote="Puckhead48E"]Correct me if I'm wrong, but the school refused to join in the legal response to the death penalty. This led to the ruling that they lacked standing. This was pointed out many times during the PSU case where the state threatened to sue. I would say the softer approach would work better, but that goes against recent examples where the NCAA had been shown to new weak and relatively powerless. I wouldn't roll in with the whole dream team...just an impressive enough line to deliver the message that we will make it our goal to decimate the very foundation of the NCAA's existence of our penalty is anywhere within the same galaxy as UNC-VoTech Institute of the UnApplied Sciences.

Your last paragraph is intuitive. Ulric is in a very good position to help SMU moving forward.[/quote]
I would hope what looked like Larry being his usual team centric, support his team and coaches like his kids self might lend to some residual positivity here. Just hope we don't get screwed by am NCAA that suddenly decides to make a stand on stupid for no reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Does he like his gig?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes
smupony94

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:15 pm

That wasnt the question