PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: Jeff Goodman's top 25 (plus 25 more) - SMU #19

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN: Jeff Goodman's top 25 (plus 25 more) - SMU #19

Postby Harry0569 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-go ... st?id=5033

19. SMU Mustangs

Projected starting lineup: SG Malik “Shake” Milton, SG Keith Frazier, PG Nic Moore, PF Jordan Tolbert, C Markus Kennedy

The Mustangs should have their top three scorers back from a team that won 27 games -- as long as Frazier is reinstated. Larry Brown will also bring in a talented wing in Milton, and Tolbert is eligible after transferring in from Texas Tech.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ESPN: Jeff Goodman's top 25 (plus 25 more) - SMU #19

Postby Harry0569 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:56 am

11. Indiana Hoosiers

Projected starting lineup: SG James Blackmon Jr., SG Robert Johnson, PG Yogi Ferrell, F Troy Williams, C Thomas Bryant

The trio of Ferrell, Blackmon and Williams all flirted with leaving for the NBA draft, but decided to return to Bloomington. That, along with the addition of true post player Bryant, makes the Hoosiers a team that could challenge for the Big Ten title.

12. Gonzaga Bulldogs

Projected starting lineup: SG Silas Melson, PG Josh Perkins, SF Kyle Dranginis, PF Kyle Wiltjer, C Przemek Karnowski

Mark Few will have to bring one of Domantas Sabonis, Wiltjer or Karnowski off the bench, and the other question for the Zags comes in the backcourt, where they have to replace Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. Perkins and Melson are capable, and former Tulsa and Vandy guard Eric McClellan is also a candidate to start.

15. Michigan Wolverines

Projected starting lineup: SG Caris LeVert, PG Derrick Walton, SF, Aubrey Dawkins, PF Zak Irvin, C Ricky Doyle

LeVert missed the second half of the season due to a foot injury, and if he and Walton are healthy, the Wolverines will have one of the best backcourts in the Big Ten -- and maybe even the country. Dawkins showed flashes last season, Irvin is a tough matchup, and Doyle and Mark Donnal both have a year under their belt now.

20. UConn Huskies

Projected starting lineup: G Sterling Gibbs, PG Jalen Adams, SF Daniel Hamilton, PF Shonn Miller, C Amida Brimah

There are a bunch of scenarios for the starting lineup, but what is clear is that the Huskies have some depth. Rodney Purvis could start, and so could Kentan Facey. Miller and Gibbs are fifth-year transfers who will help immediately.

21. Texas A&M Aggies

Projected starting lineup: G Alex Caruso, PG Anthony Collins, SF Danuel House, PF Jalen Jones, C Tyler Davis/Elijah Thomas

Billy Kennedy returns key pieces from last year’s team -- House, Caruso and Jones -- adds a key transfer in Collins (USF) at the point, and also will welcome in a talented recruiting class that features a pair of talented bigs in Davis and Thomas.

29. Cincinnati Bearcats

Projected starting lineup: SG Kevin Johnson, PG Troy Caupain, SF Shaq Thomas, PF Gary Clark, C Octavius Ellis

The Bearcats will have all five starters back from a team that won a game in the NCAA tournament -- and they will also get their coach, Mick Cronin, back after he missed most of last season due to health issues.

30. Baylor Bears

Projected starting lineup: SG Al Freeman, PG Lester Medford, F Taurean Prince, PF Rico Gathers, C Johnathan Motley

Medford will be critical in replacing Kenny Chery, but the good news for Scott Drew is that he has Gathers and Motley back on the frontline, and also his leading scorer in Prince. Look for Freeman to step up with Royce O’Neale graduated.

37. Memphis Tigers

Projected starting lineup: SG K.J. Lawson, PG Ricky Tarrant, F Dedric Lawson, PF Austin Nichols, C Shaq Goodwin

The Tigers didn’t have a quality point guard last season, but Josh Pastner added Tulane/Alabama transfer Tarrant to battle Kedren Johnson for the job. He also added the Lawson brothers, who should help immediately.

43. Texas Longhorns

Projected starting lineup: PG Isaiah Taylor, G Javan Felix, G Kendal Yancy, PF Connor Lammert, C Cameron Ridley

The Longhorns may not have a star, but new coach Shaka Smart does have enough pieces. Taylor can be an upper-tier point guard, and Smart also retained two talented signees (Eric Davis and Kerwin Roach) and signed Tevin Mack (ex-VCU signee).
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:03 am

Anybody know when we will hear about Keith? And if he is gone do we have 2 scholl or do we give 1 up for NCAA invest this yr? I know nothing is set on NCAA, but what would you guess?
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu May 28, 2015 1:34 pm

I doubt we see Keith again, but I have real worries about Kennedy too, any word on him?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Markus will be back
smupony94

Postby hoopmanx » Thu May 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Just being a realist, how does Keith survive if Ulric didn't? The kid was admitted based on bunk scores/grades. No way he goes unscathed
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:21 pm

I dont see Keith back either. Just wish we had the answer sooner than later
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 pm

The answer has been mentioned on Scout
smupony94

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu May 28, 2015 2:41 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Just being a realist, how does Keith survive if Ulric didn't? The kid was admitted based on bunk scores/grades. No way he goes unscathed

I thought, at least with regard to his physics grade, that KF was admitted based on his actual grade, not the one that apparently got Ulric in trouble. Could Ulric's problems relate to E-Man instead?

If he is sanctioned by the NCAA what happens? Does he sit out a semester or two? Assuming the later I would think he opts to play in Europe. And, NCAA aside, have his grades recovered to qualify?

Would hate to see him go. Aside from his skills, I was really inspired by the way he put the disappointment of his freshman year behind and worked hard to earn a starting spot as a sophomore. He showed character. A lot of players would have bailed out for a JuCo or school that promised lots of court time.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby KWhiz77 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:04 pm

Thx, Smu94. Must have missed it. Will go bk thru Scout tonight.
KWhiz77
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Keith's eligibility will be based on his grades at SMU, nothing more than that.

I think the way to look at the lineup is that you want scorers in each group.

Prediction:
Starters: Nic, Gu, Sterling, Ben, MK
Bench: Shake, Sed, Frasier, Tolbert (shortened rotation to get the frosh more time. Foster and Carter redshirt unless there is an injury).

After mid-season, Semi is eligible. He and Ben fight it out for a starting spot. At that point, I think you will see Ben get more time at the 3 and either Shake or Sed will get a minute reduction.

If Keith starts, you have nobody in the second team that is a pure scorer. That is one of the things that keeps him coming off the bench. Sterling's contributions this season won't get overlooked.

Gu and Shawn both struggled when they first came in. The others all had a chance to work with the team for a year first. Because of that, I think Shake or Sed would have to be amazing players in order to start. I think it is more probable that Gu steps his game up than that happening. Either way it sure will be nice to have a situation where 4 different players can bring the ball up the floor.
JasonB

Postby Ponyneighbor » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Agree with 100% of Jason's take. Sterling has got to start over Keith. Really hope Ben can be a consistent 3 shooter next year - that would make a huge difference
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Fri May 29, 2015 2:51 pm

If Gu starts, have to think he is the first to lose a starting job if his shooting is like it was this season.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ponyswim » Fri May 29, 2015 3:00 pm

If Gu shoots like he did last season and we having everyone back, he will lose almost all his playing time.
I am thinking that we will see a different Gu next year.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 pm

ponyswim wrote:If Gu shoots like he did last season and we having everyone back, he will lose almost all his playing time.
I am thinking that we will see a different Gu next year.

But More importantly, Who is next year's Dunleavy and Wilfong?

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball