PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN article

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN article

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:26 pm

Looks like Rick Alonzo started reading this board regarding the frustrations with our defense of the 3 pointer! I'll agree that it is certainly no coincidence that teams and players always seem to have their "career games" from 3 point land against us.

Call me a glutton, but I will keep going to the games and supporting the teams with MC contributions and season tickets. I enjoy the competition if nothing else. Having said that, I walked out of the game last night feeling like I just got kicked in the teeth again by this program. I just care too much and am getting the feeling that Copeland does not share our passion. I just flat cannot understand how you could watch this team for the past several years and not come to the conclusion that a change is needed at head coach. Maybe something is in the works already, I don't know. What I do know is that we are sending several thousand kids a year through this school without them ever experiencing winning in either revenue sport. This is the cause of apathy towards our programs when they are in school and the reason why contributions to the MC will be fewer and fewer as the memories of the good old days fade away.

I hope that we can right the ship soon, but my concern is "Does anybody care?"
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Re: DMN article

Postby OldPony » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:17 pm

The total of 3's made in our games is about average. The problem is that we only make about 20% of them. I'm with you- eliminate that sucker.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: DMN article

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:17 pm

Blunt Pony, you said it very well. I'm tired of coaches failing one after another at SMU, but Copeland and Turner have to be evaluating the situation. Like you say, there has been too much losing and mediocrity. A program is either going in the right direction or it isnt. You cant have too many nights like last night and seasons like this, and its clear that the fans are losing enthusiasm. Dement needs something like a WAC tournament championship, or a huge surprise recruit/transfer to complement Hopkins. Something significant needs to happen. I thought the win at Tulsa might have been the spark needed. Then, Tulsa goes out and loses to San Jose and loses alot of luster. And then we lose to Boise at home, fail to compete on the road, and give back the Tulsa game at home. All that more than reversed the good wins at Rice and TU.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball