PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The thing that bothers me the most

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The thing that bothers me the most

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:47 pm

is the lack of intensity from the players. Maybe it’s that only 1,500 care to come watch our games (last night the 50 Tulsa fans made more noise than all the SMU fans), maybe its the total lack of support they get from the student body, alumni, and local sports fan base, or maybe its the whole attitude that losing is acceptable within the SMU athletic programs. Outside of the Rice game, I haven’t seen a Mustang with a smile on their face or the slightest appearance that this team is having any fun playing basketball. At the beginning of the game last night every Mustang on the floor acted like they would have rather been anywhere than in Moody. I’m sure most of our guys really do care but the effort is just not there. It’s a shame because this IS a talented group of guys with a lot of potential but I have a bad feeling this thing is going to get worse before it gets better...its kind of the same feeling I had back in 99 about another one of our programs.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: The thing that bothers me the most

Postby PK » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:53 pm

Saw Kelly in a local Pizza place after one of the January games where he came off the bench and had a great night. He told me that he was having the most fun playing basketball this year that he has had the whole time he has been here. I've seen Isham and others come down the court with big smiles on their faces...maybe last night was not one of those nights.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby abezontar » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:04 pm

actually there were a lot of smiles last night, just none after A slut started to catch up. When we were putting points up on the board, and generally having our way with Tulsa (there was a stretch there to open the second half) everybody seemed to be having a great time. As for the crowd, well, I know I don't cheer as much as I used to, maybe part of it has to do with the fact that these guys never seem to be able to hold onto or continually build a lead. I will keep going, and I will try to scream like I did in the old days, I just hoped I don't get reprimanded by the refs again.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby cowboypony » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:05 pm

LA Mustang, take a look at my post under "Culture Change." I think it's a chicken/egg thing. SMU has always wined about lack of attendance. When in the last 20 years (15 in football) have we given the community and SMU anything to come out and watch. You can't ask for fan support without making an attempt at being competitive. We have the exact same program (or worse) in BB that we did 5-6 years ago. As I've said, I'm one diehard fan but there gets to be a point where I wonder if anyone (in the administration) cares about getting better. Something has to be done to energize the fans, players, donors, etc. This same old crap we've been putting out there for 20 years isn't working.
cowboypony
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:13 pm

LA, this is probably just semantics, but i think 100% effort is actually there from the players. I definitely felt like they gave their best effort last night. I think what was missing was that spark that comes from something else other than effort. Frankly, I think the spark was missing last night because of the flat crowd and the fact that at 12-11, we truly are not in position to play for anything. Which is also why the crowd was small and quiet. I wasnt jacked up for the game I can tell you that. Main reason was I knew in my gut that we are out of any postseason at-large opportunity. I still wanted the team to win, but there was not anticipation of the game. Tulsa is still a talented team and they didnt want to lose to us twice. They seemed to have the extra motivation and we didnt.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball