PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SI: SMU in good shape to defend AAC title

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SI: SMU in good shape to defend AAC title

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:55 pm

State of the champion: Southern Methodist

The Mustangs won both the regular-season and tournament championships in the AAC, but their season ended in devastating fashion. A controversial goaltending call against center Yanick Moreira on a three-point attempt by UCLA point guard Bryce Alford in the final seconds helped the Bruins complete a late rally to stun SMU in the NCAA tournament’s round of 64. While the Mustangs blew a chance for their first win in the Big Dance since 1988, that shouldn’t overshadow the success they had in coach Larry Brown’s third season.

Not only did SMU win 27 games overall and reach the NCAAs for the first time in 22 years, it did so despite overcoming several personnel issues. Top incoming recruit Emmanuel Mudiay never showed up on campus, eventually winding up in China. Forward Markus Kennedy sat out the first semester due to academics. Wing Keith Frazier was ruled ineligible for the remainder of the season in January. And forward Justin Martin left the team the same month to pursue opportunities to play professionally. Meanwhile, assistant coach Ulric Maliji decided in January to take an indefinite leave of absence for personal reasons, and SMU announced less than a week later that it had received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA that reportedly involves academic improprieties within the men’s basketball program.

The Mustangs will enter this season with a dark cloud of potential NCAA punishment lurking over their heads, but they will nonetheless be considered one of the strongest contenders to win the conference. Though they lose two starters in Moreira and guard Ryan Manuel, their list of returnees includes Moore, a first-team All-AAC guard, and Kennedy, a second-team all-league forward. SMU also adds two transfers in former Texas Tech forward Jordan Tolbert and former Duke forward Semi Ojeleye, who is expected to be eligible in December. Incoming freshman Shake Milton, a four-star guard in the class of 2015, will add depth to the perimeter rotation.

Assuming the roster remains healthy and intact, SMU has the potential to achieve even more than it did in 2014-15. It may take a while for Mustangs fans to forget the brutal tourney loss, but they should take comfort in the fact that their favorite team is in good position to defend its league crown.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... nl_siextra
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SI: SMU in good shape to defend AAC title

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:24 am

Really dont care about a title or conf tourney champ, just get there and win a ncaa tourney game
GiddyUp

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:03 am

GiddyUp wrote:Really dont care about a title or conf tourney champ, just get there and win a ncaa tourney game

Yes to the tourney game but I want us to win as many championships in as many sports as we can. #PonyUpTempo
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:52 am

Yup Giddyup. Win a game in the tourney and garner big program wins along the way. Would rather beat Gonzaga than win the AAC tourney
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:44 am

I may be crazy, but I am pleased that we have made incremental progress rather than exponential leap in basketball. We have made a significant step forward in each of LB's years without going backwards. Next year I expect to the team to win a NCAA tournament game or two.

With consistent progress LB is building a program rather than being a flash in the pan and then back to mediocrity or lower when he bails. LB will coming back as long as there is unfinished business and in doing so he builds the SMU name into a brand independent of LB's reputation. This gives Jankovic something to build on when the time comes for LB to move on.

Would I have loved for SMU to make a deep run last year, yes, but I am happy with the way things played out (Other than the NCAA thing), and think a good year next year will solidify SMU's basketball program for a sustainable future in hoops.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm greedy and would like to beat Gonzaga, win the AAC and make a nice tourney run.
skyscraper

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Of course we want a solid program and continued success, i dont think u have to win the conf tourney especially. ACC is a great example. Get a decent seed and fight..
GiddyUp

Postby Smerkins » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:11 pm

skyscraper wrote:I'm greedy and would like to beat Gonzaga, win the AAC and make a nice tourney run.

I really don't think that is too far fetched......
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Smerkins wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I'm greedy and would like to beat Gonzaga, win the AAC and make a nice tourney run.

I really don't think that is too far fetched......

I don't think it s either. This team should be better than last years, just b/c more kids can put the ball in the basket and handle. We'll miss a rim protector, but Tolbert/Markus is bull in a china shop territory. If Ben Moore makes a leap, same w/Emelogu and Carter is useful at all, we're silly deep. We're not great by any stretch, but damn good. Top 15 good
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball