PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UNC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: UNC

Postby Pony Boss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Death Penalty. Nothing less.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:06 am

With our luck they will get the DP and then restart the program, Roy will move to AD and LB will be unc's Forrest Gregg prodigal son coming home to coach up those who persevered
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Tx_Mustang10 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:02 pm

The problem is, we're next at bat. If the NCAA goes tough on UNC, then they're not going to want the heels to think they got creamed and other schools can get a slap on the wrist. I.e. Lost scholarships for UNC will mean death penalty for SMU.
Tx_Mustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:15 pm

You cannot get the death penalty for a misdemeanor. What UNC did was murder, what SMU did is not even in that same class. We should get a speeding ticket not jail time/dp
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby mathman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:53 pm

There are actually 5 separate allegations for LOIC ( lack of institutional control ). There is a nine page thread over on the National Rivals BB board about this. The thread was started a long time ago when the news of the allegations came out. If you are interested in the details one of the posters has the link to the NOA you can read. It is over 50 pages long. This has been going on at UNC since 1993, but the NOA only has the period from 2000 and up I believe. UNC has 60 days to respond and then the negotiations will begin. SMU hopefully will be handled long before that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 pm

With Roy getting his contract upped and signed soon, with the school being very public about, we can see they feel threatened by the NCAA. He has a few years left on his contract and was there during this crap...you would think they would delay the renegotiation until after they are punished to at least limit any chance of being seen as blatantly laughing at the NCAA in public. Guess they know they have no reason to worry.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 am

Puckhead48E wrote: Guess they know they have no reason to worry.

Certainly a reasonable comment. On the other hand, could a new contract be hush money?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 am

There will never be a death penalty again. You could have video of a coach handing over $100K in a briefcase on youtube and it still wouldn't happen.

UNC will get hit pretty hard by current NCAA standards. They have to give them something significant given the wide range of infractions and the length of time this stuff was going on. That said, I can't see anything beyond maybe a two year postseason ban and a 5-10 year probationary period. The NCAA simply has no interest or motivation in biting the hand that feeds them.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Only reason I see NCAA bringing significant pain and punishment on UNC is to ensure all recent punishments are not revisited post action. After the PSU fiasco where they got slapped pretty significantly, if they were to go soft on UNC for the myriad of verifiable and proven violations it would set the table for any number of schools recently punished to revisit their cases and any punishment levied as being baseless in comparison to the UNC case. One or two would be a pain...you get more than a few schools doing this and the entire reason for the NCAA existing is brought to question. While PSU was a case of overreach, if they go soft on UNC then they open up all recent cases for review and set a precedent that could see the dissolution of the NCAA's ability to enforce regulations. The real question is...will they have the brains and balls to act on a macro/long view, or will they get stuck in the micro view. This could signal the true beginning of the end.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Tx_Mustang10 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am

The death penalty comment is a metaphor: if UNC gets hit hard, so too will SMU (I predict). If hit hard, their punishment will fit the crime, ours will not.
Tx_Mustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:25 am

We already know our punishment. Chill.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:56 am

10 bucks a month is all it takes folks
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Dukie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Pony Boss wrote:You cannot get the death penalty for a misdemeanor. What UNC did was murder, what SMU did is not even in that same class. We should get a speeding ticket not jail time/dp

I completely agree with this. The confirmed details in the UNC case are absolutely stunning. Here is my favorite email exchange:

Email from Jan Boxill to Deborah Crowder:

Attached is a paper that <redacted name> did for the AFRI class. I never heard from Eunice, so I hope this is okay, as we need a grade recorded by Sept 29th. She said there were dots misplaced, but I couldn't see any when I opened it up.

I was home sick yesterday, and not sure if I'll be in today.

Thanks, I may have to ask some HUGE FAVORS this week as well, but I'll call you tomorrow.

Jan

Deborah Crowder email response:

I am so sorry you are sick. That must be miserable. A bunch of folks are sick, but more with respiratory stuff than stomach stuff! Rest up, please! No worries. As long as I am here I will try to accommodate as many favors as possible. Did you say a D will do for <name redacted>? I'm only asking that because 1. no sources, 2, it has absolutely nothing to do with the assignments for that class and 3. it seems to me to be a recycled paper. She took AFRI in spring of 2007 and that was likely for that class. dc

And the reply from Jan Boxill:

Hi Debby,

Yes, a D will be fine; that's all she needs. I didn't look at the paper but figured it was a recycled one as well, but I couldn't figure from where!

Thanks for whatever you can do.

Jan

Jan Boxill, at the time, was Chair of the Faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the Director of UNC-CH's Parr Center for Ethics. And here she is in governmental email records: (a) negotiating with the staffer who doled out fake grades for the African American Studies Department regarding the passing grade needed for an athlete's paper; (b) acknowledging that the paper is recycled and off-topic; and (c) stating that this sort of thing is so routine that it doesn't even rise to the level of being the sort of "HUGE FAVOR" she sometimes needs from that staffer.

I've never seen evidence that even SEC schools approach this level of academic fraud, nor is this in the same solar system as this in what I've seen about the SMU basketball issues.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby RebStang » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 pm

To me, this UNC situation is getting to a point where I think the NCAA might be the least of their worries. If this were any other school I'm not sure that the SACS wouldn't have already put their accreditation on probation.
RebStang
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball