PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Who is to blame?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Who is to blame?

Postby Johnny Rock » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:40 pm

I am not sure if my earlier post was deleted from this board or if it did not post. Either way, here are my thoughts....It appears that the majority of SMU fans believe that the state of SMU's basketball program has declined in recent years and it is time to change head coaches. This statement is based on the fact that the attendance is horrible and we continue to struggle in a sub-par conference. Dement may be a 'great' guy but he has not gotten the job done at SMU, i.e., no NCAA tournament appearances. Every year we lose important games at the end of the season to the same teams in our league. It is simply time to get a new coach...but who? Based on the fact that Dement has a few years remaining on his contract and SMU's lack of money in its athletic budget, it appears Dement will coach here until his contract expires. Why does he have such a long term contract anyways? I guess only Copeland can answer that question. When was the last time an SMU football or basketball coach left the school for a better coaching job? Not in recent times? So why did we give Dement such a long term contract? Again, only Copeland can answer this? I am disappointed in Dement's coaching since he arrived at SMU, but I also am disappointed in Copeland in his handling of the basketball team. I certainly welcome any comments, but I am sure that I speak for many. I also would like to organize a large group to attend the last home game to chant 'Fire Dement' so maybe people will realize the true feelings of SMU fans. Please let me know who is interested in attending the last home game and joining Johnny Rock's posse.
Johnny Rock

Re: Who is to blame?

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:45 pm

Most entertaining: Gene Phillips and Jeryl Sasser. BHop could be the next on the list.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:37 pm

Denny Holman- frenetic defense. Once stole the ball on 2 straight in bounds and scored to give the Mustangs an NCAA tourney victory. Charlie Beasley lighting them up from all over. Bob Begert trying to stretch himself another inch so he would be too tall for the Army to draft (that was the story anyway). He incidently played an exceptional game against Wes Unseld to help the Ponies win an NCAA victory.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Ringer » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:51 pm

Show some class Rockmeister. From one mustang fan to another. Your idea on the last game of the season won't do any good but make people feel bad. Take some advice and to borrow a few thoughts from the great Carlos Santana... Try being positive. Live your life. It comes from within. Make peace not war. Life is too precious to waste with negativity. Let us all love one another. we are all in this world together. Mankind is a wonderful creation so start acting like it.

Sound to candy-ass for you. So sorry. Just think about what you suggested... Not nice and just not right.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:43 pm

Well, let's see...we hit 2 of our last 14 shots to finish against Tulsa. I wasn't there so can't say whether we worked for good shots and just missed them or whether we went helter-skelter and took poor shots down the stretch. I'm in no position to say whether it's poor coaching or players who get a little anxious at crunch time. We've had games where we seem to have finished strong and come from several points down in the closing minutes to pull out a win...and we've lost a few close ones. I guess we live in a world where somebody has to be "at fault" when things don't always go our way. Can't possibly be that the other team just got hot at the right time and hit clutch shots?
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:06 am

Mr. Rock,

That is quite ridiculous to organize your posse. I am very unhappy w/ Dement but that is tasteless.
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:09 pm

FIRE DEMENT! I wish I was there to chant with you Rock. No one puts any pressure on this guy...he's safe in his job. It's about time we show our unhappiness; our season isn't going to get any better.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball