PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UT academic allegations - article

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UT academic allegations - article

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

This is a really long article that's impossible to summarize, so go read the whole thing.
http://chronicle.com/article/How-Athlet ... 0jbllUEQ==

One of several new claims of academic misconduct involving Texas athletes illustrate how the university has appeared to let academically deficient players push the limits of its policy on academic integrity as it has sought to improve its teams' academic records.

Like many big-time programs, Texas has dozens of athletes who came to the flagship campus unprepared for academic rigor. Keeping those players eligible without sacrificing academic standards is a balancing act that institutions are finding increasingly difficult to manage.

Among the high-profile programs that have recently stumbled are those at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Syracuse University. At Texas, blurry lines between athletics and academics have raised concerns that the athletic department has intruded too far on academic matters.

When students cheat, faculty members have leeway in determining grade-related sanctions, said Jason J. Thibodeaux, director of student judicial services at Austin. The punishments, he said, can vary. Some professors fail students for any violation; others take a more light-handed approach.

He would not comment on a specific case but said he was not aware of any accusation that a professor had allowed the athletic department to influence a student's grade.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UT academic allegations - article

Postby Nacho » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

but...but... we're texas.
Nacho

Postby Blvd_Stang » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm

It will be interesting to see how this progresses, and ultimately their punishment vs. ours
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Well, if it goes according to the common conception so often expressed on this board, nothing will happen to Texas but the NCAA will come down harder on SMU...
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:16 pm

I find the allegations to be completely preposterous. This is TU. This is the Mecca. The Alpha and Omega. The Bee's Knees. The most sacred of sacred. We are not talking TTU or A$M here. I have no doubt that these allegations will be proven complete false and those involved perpetuating these blasphemous rumors to be punished.

And we all know the NCAA is celebrating cause they have an investigation against us and can use that to punish TU if anything actually tuns out to be true.
ponyte

Postby smusportspage » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:34 am

Hey, I thought UT at Austin doesn't have to cheat to get their athletes. :roll:
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Because they've had their president run interference for them on the Infractions Committee over the years, their resume is shorter than ours.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm

so where are Pat Forde and Brett Shipp?
RGV Pony

Postby Topper » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:47 pm

UT has played fast and loose with academics for athletes forever. Nothing new here. I remember a few years ago the school enrolled a large number of students with unbelievably low academic capabilities because they were considered disabled per the ADA. Guess what? Almost all were scholarship athletes in football or basketball.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Topper wrote:UT has played fast and loose with academics for athletes forever. Nothing new here. I remember a few years ago the school enrolled a large number of students with unbelievably low academic capabilities because they were considered disabled per the ADA. Guess what? Almost all were scholarship athletes in football or basketball.

Another reason their scholarship athlete graduation rate is so bad. (Some on this board will argue that it sucks because so many of them go pro but that is bogus.)
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:46 pm

As a Texas Ex, I think that this is all a bunch of horse.... Individual episodes of cheating happen every year at every university (including SMU). Unless the School is "in on it," there is not a problem.

Until the NCAA hammers UNC (not going to happen), Texas has nothing to worry about.

BTW - if you don't think cheating happens on the Hilltop, I would estimate that 50% of my classmates were cheating on the Ethics final at SMU.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Sorry, but don't be bringing SMU into UT at Austin's crap. This is their doing. None of this, hey it will be ok because everyone else is doing it nonsense. I did not see any of UT exes step up when SMU was getting slammed for saying the exact same thing. If fact just the opposite.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Come on whiners. Where is the name calling, and accusations of Digetydog hating the University, for daring to criticize or speak the blasphemous truth?

Come out, come out wherever you are.

Be careful Digety, you could be reported to Larry or Chad, and banned or sent to PonyFan jail soon. :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby soccermom » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 am

Yawn.....when hasn't ut cheated?
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:27 pm

soccermom wrote:Yawn.....when hasn't ut cheated?

People in glass houses.............
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Next

Return to Basketball