PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All-time most entertaining Mustangs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All-time most entertaining Mustangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:31 pm

I tried to start this post last night but it got lost in the technical difficulties. Was thinking about the most entertaining players I've seen in almost 30 yrs of following the Mustangs...not necessarily the best players at their position, but the most fun to watch. Here's my team:

PG - Kato Armstrong - explosive point guard who would definitely give the nightly news some highlights. Was there in Chapel Hill when he opened our 1st round NCAA Tourney game against Notre Dame by blowing by David Rivers, driving down the lane and slamming in the face of one of ND's low post guys.

SG - gotta love Gene Phillips, the most prolific scoring machine in SMU history. If he played today with the 3 pt line, they'd probably outlaw that shot (like Lew Alcindor and the dunk)

SF - could have put Phillips here, too, because he was so versatile, but I'm going with Carl Wright, who really played as a SG...but it was Wright's back door ally-oop slams that earns him this spot. He could flat out jump over the backboard.

PF - I'm going with another great athlete and leaper who played a lot of C at only 6-5. Reggie Franklin, who excelled at being in the right place at the right time (how many times did he tip in a shot at the buzzer? Reggie went on to play with the Globetrotters, as I recall.

C - Clayton (the animal) Korver. Not the most talented big man, but he could whip the home crowd into a frenzy and drew the wrath of opposing fans. This guy pulled down rebounds with authority...and would take a guys head with the ball if it got in the way. You always wondered what he had taken before the game to get so "up"...truly a wild man on the court.

For pure talent, I loved I.T. I never saw Krebs. I started following the Ponies in the Holman, Beasley, Begert, Hooser era. Lots of great talents, but the guys I mentioned above were very entertaining and stand out in my mind. Who am I forgetting?

[This message has been edited by Charleston Pony (edited 02-21-2003).]
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: All-time most entertaining Mustangs

Postby No Quarter » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:14 am

Well, there was little Max Williams, a guard who made you want to watch the court and Doc Hayes who sometimes was not amused.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:29 am

I agree with Reggie Franklin. He was incredible at center and fun to watch.

One evening when UT (Texas) came to town we (the football team) sat behind the Texas bench to give Abe Lemon some "coaching tips."

Reggie had a super game. And much of it was right in front of the Texas bench and us. Of course we had plenty of tips for Abe and his embarrassing Longhorn center to stop Reggie. And every Reggie dunk brought more tips.

He was exciting and a really nice and gentle person. I am glad U included him.
ponyte

Postby Ringer » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:06 pm

Got to agree with your summation of Kato Armstrong. He was an awesome pointguard. How about Carl Wright? I thought he was entertaining on several different levels. Some good, some not quite so good, but hey, entertaining non the less. Who can forget the ponies home game where Carl stole the ball from the NC ST. player at mid-court on national television. It gave SMU the possession it needed to take the winning shot with time running out. Carl had some serious hang time in him. And last but certainly not least, how about, Butch Moore? He could dribble that ball around anyone. Was fun to watch and was a good general on the court. He conrolled the tempo of gams like noones business. Well, those three that come to mind, I am sure there are others.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:09 pm

I might have to rate Butch Moore as the best all-time point guard to have played at SMU. He absolutely controlled the game and brought out the best in his teammates. His defense was underrated, too. When we pressed with Butch, Carl & Reggie Pink, it was tough to get the ball up court against the 'Stangs.
Charleston Pony

Postby MustangFan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:08 pm

We're talking pure entertainment here, right?

Can you say "Eiron Harris"?
MustangFan
All-American

Return to Basketball