PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Moody renovation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Moody renovation

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:28 pm

If this llink works, it's a shot of Freno's new arena that has about twice the capacity we need. Can you imagine Moody with press box/club seating/luxury boxes on the sides and a large club room behind the basket. Picture this arena without an upper deck. Could Moody be remodeled to add those features? Even if we eliminated 2000 seats in the process, it might create a better environment and bring the crowd closer to the floor. Let the socializing take place around the top of the place and let's return some noisy fans to the courtside seats.

<A HREF="http://www.owlzone.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config2.pl?read=41157" TARGET=_blank>http://www.owlzone.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config2.pl?read=41157</A>
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Moody renovation

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:21 pm

I'd be happy with just the scoreboard. Ours is ridiculously outdated. Would suites really make a difference? As it is now, they have the best seats and nobody shows up.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 02-22-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby PX » Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:47 pm

Yes Moody ccan be remodeled to add all that. The plans are already drawn, all they need is to find the money.
PX
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:06 pm

My first move would be to put fans behind each basket. SMU fans, that is, and lots of 'em. Bring the SMU fans down from the upper level and stash them behind the nets, (slide the band up a level - we'll still hear you) and let them go nuts when the other team is at the line. It's a shame to see opponents have a nice, relaxed, un-destracted view of the hoop when they're shooting free throws.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:03 pm

PX, how are they getting the word out? I haven't heard anything about Moody renovation campaigns at all.
Pony_Fan

Postby PX » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony_Fan:
<B>PX, how are they getting the word out? I haven't heard anything about Moody renovation campaigns at all.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are a really big donor, I doubt they have asked you. Right now, I think the fundraising emphasis is on the Morgan campaign, the Mustang Clubs annual fund drive. Trying to raise money for both at the same time would draw donations away from the MC, and I think that money, which goes to paying that Athletic departments ever day operations expenses, is more of a priority right now.

The idea about moving the SMU fans down to behind the baskets is interesting, but you're making an awfully big assumption. I'm not sure there are that many people who want to move from their current seats to sit behind the basket. Those seats are available for sale, if you want a ticket there, you can get one. I have seats there, and thats where I'll be in about 30 minutes from now. I think most people who actually buy season tickets prefer to sit at mid-court, though. The last few games, about 10 minutes into the game, I've seen people from the marketing office telling people they can move down into the courtside seats if they want to. 20-30 people usually do, but its not enough to fill the section.
PX
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:42 pm

Any renovation of Moody should not be that drastic. Moody has a wonderful crowded feel when it is full, and is far superior to the big open arenas that you find in fresno or tulsa. Moody needs to be renovated, but I don't see the value of the changes that many of you suggest. It would kill the atmosphere (not that there is one with the current attendance!)

And as for moving the band...we like our seats, but apparently nobody else does. If you want to sit with us you can walk right down and grab a seat. Very few people ever do. And we can't sit up top anyway, it is far too crowded in for instruments.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby StangEsq » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:27 am

I was in Lubbock this weekend and went to the Tech-ATM game. Tech's new stadium looks just like this one. It would be nice to have a jumbotron like that in moody too, it makes things a lot more interesting/convenient for the visitors.

What are the odds that a corporate name would be added to fund the renovation?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby wallet » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:36 pm

The general plan for Moody renovation is a big dollar deal, 40m. It includes taking out the offices, moving concessions, reducing seats but adding suites. Most significant is building a practice court facility in the area in front of Moody. Obviously a new scoreboard and media enhancements are on the agenda.
wallet

Postby TUfan » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:15 pm

Besides a new scoreboard, I would like for there to be more bathrooms. If it ever does get full again, the atmosphere will be great. It was awesome during the TU-SMU game in 2000 (thank you Tony Heard!). However, getting to the restroom when it's full is impossible. The scoreboard is obvious. The only place I've seen a worse one this season is at Gonzaga, and if their's wasn't hanging on the wall rather than in the middle, it would have been better.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball