PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rice Game summary

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rice Game summary

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:53 am

Nice win boys but I can't believe I actually sat thru that one.

Turnovers galore in the 1st half...I am not sure what is going on with Hopkins. He's got nothing shooting..just terrible. He's not protecting the ball either...but he's better than Voc that is for sure. He's leading the WAC in steals which is something positive.
Simpson was on a complete tear in the 1st half...he couldn't miss. Then, couldn't do anything in the 2nd. I wish all these guys could gel at the same time....so hot and cold. Castro had a game like that a while back. Ross was defended quite well most of the game but got tons of points off FT's. He's been tough at the line this year.

To my surprise, we defended the 3 quite well tonight. Rotation was decent and they didnt get many good looks. Rice went down low to Harris for a lot of the 1st half and he has his way in the paint. Not sure why they got off that b/c it was working well. Man, I would love to have a hoss like him...he's going to be ALL-WAC for sure.

2nd half - completely awful...both teams shot terribly and it was a foul fest. Nobody could buy a bucket and we looked very tentative and hesitant. I think we made maybe 1 FG and went to the line like 10 times in 15 minutes. What a joke. Despite the ugly play, pulled out a win. This one sure was different than the entertaining 1st game against these teams. Hopkins sat w/ 4 fouls a while...I really don't know what is going on in his head...I don't care what most of you say...you can't pin this play on being hurt and being a frosh and I DID see him in HS. Back in the middle of the WAC...I"LL TAKE THE WIN to not be in the bottom play in game!!

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 02-22-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rice Game summary

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:59 am

well why don't you list all the polished freshman you've seen play at SMU over the last 30 years. Ira Terrell definitely-Larry Davis was tough as a freshman-other than that your criticism doesn't hold water.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mickey » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> well why don't you list all the polished freshman you've seen play at SMU over the last 30 years. Ira Terrell definitely-Larry Davis was tough as a freshman-other than that your criticism doesn't hold water. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better yet, let's look at the Fab 5 that came out of Dallas last year and are playing as Frosh in the Big 10, ACC, and WAC. Latest stats:

Bryan Hopkins, SMU, 21G, 13 ppg, 4.0 apg, 4.2 topg

Bracey Wright, Indiana, 21G, 17 ppg, 1.9 apg, 2.2 topg

Daniel Horton, Michigan, 25G, 16.5 ppg, 4.4 apg, 3.4 topg

Derron Williams, Illinois, 22G, 6.7 ppg, 4.0 apg, 2.0 topg

Chris Bosh Georgia Tech, 23G, 15.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg

G- Games
ppg- points per game
apg- assists per game
topg- turnovers per game
rpg- rebounds per game

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 02-23-2003).]
Mickey
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:02 pm

Stallion, why don't u at least go to a game once in a while. I'm just talking about the here and now...I have no doubts it will improve but he is in a serious slump.

9 for 44 in 4 games.
2 for 10 last night.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 02-23-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball