PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boiled Rice

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Boiled Rice

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:12 am

NICE WIN!

Quinton Ross was unbelievable. 16-for-18 from the free-throw line in the second half -- that's CLUTCH! He was especially big, considering BHop was struggling.

What happened to Simpson in the second half? He had 17 in the first, but just four after the break. Looked like he didn't have much left in his legs in the second half.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Boiled Rice

Postby ponyte » Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:23 am

So glad to have a win. And to sweep Rice. Oh, I hope they can keep it up to end the season.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:46 am

We got lucky....plain and simple. Boise St. will clobber us I'm afraid.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:35 am

We've now beaten Rice 11 of the last 13 meetings. It's nice to see things getting back to the way they should be, i.e., with us OWNING Rice! Need to make it that way in football, too.
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>We got lucky....plain and simple. Boise St. will clobber us I'm afraid.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are awfully smug from your comfy lawn chair propped up on the beach there in FL. Well let me tell you son, we didn't get lucky, we worked our butts off on the court last night and didn't ever give up. We basically smothered Rice's trey shooters with good hard defense. We went man to man most of the game, and as they say, defense wins games...and thats what we did and thats how we did it.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby No Cal Pony » Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:09 pm

I agree with you PK. The kids hung tough. boise st. will NOT spank us if the team can play with heart. While we are not the best team in the WAC, we can win against anybody. This season is one where anyone can beat anybody, IF they play tough. Did anyone notice that sjsu almost beat fresno st.?

Have some faith, I do.

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:07 pm

I sure was listening to the game PK... sure we actually played defense, but we GOT LUCKY by hitting most of our free throws. Both teams went cold, and we hit our free throws.

Every time we win, we are so confident... just be realistic. We lost at home to Boise... they are a solid team, and Hopkins is still struggling offensively. You can't expect Q to have 30 every game and get sufficient bench production. I sure hope we can get those 15 wins, but I'm being cautious for a change. I'm sick of being disappointed.... I'll be the pessimist for once and hope I'm surprised.

Glad to see Dement went to man for most of the game...we give up so many treys when we play zone.

By the way, the beach is beautiful right around this time of year... sorry ya'll can't enjoy it Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 02-23-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:31 pm

IMHO the reason both teams went "cold" is they were both playing hard man to man coverage and were just plain worn out. It's hard to make good shots when you are tired.

Also want to mention that some of our "poor" shooting percentage was due to our guys missing their shots when they were fouled. Rice had two maybe three guys foul out. One of their players went in to replace a guy who fouled out and with in 10 minutes he was gone with five fouls against him. Rice was playing tough defense against us all night.

As for being lucky to hit our free throws...we have actually had very good free throw percentages from our main guys for quite awhile now. The Q has been extremely good.

While I'm not willing to call myself pessimistic, I am at least realistic enough to know that we don't play too well on the road...although we did well against Rice and Tulsa on the road. The main thing I feel good about this team right now is that they aren't giving up. They have played enough games where they came back from being down to win the game or had to endure multiple OT's to win that they know they can't ever just quit.

Gee, thanks for telling us how beautiful the beach is....watch out for the sharks. Image

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 02-23-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:28 pm

Don't get me wrong..these guys are playing hard, but unless we get better bench production (not to mention better production from the front line), we aren't going to win tought road games. We were 9th in the WAC in FT % before the Rice game...lucky for us, Q drew a lot of fouls.

As for the defense, I'm happy they were playing it tough, but you still have to hit your shots. We have some pretty athletic guys..unfortunately the bench is NOT producing and Q and Simpson are hustling their asses off for 35-40 mins and aren't getting good shots because like you said, they are just TIRED. Credit goes to Q for driving to the basket and picking up those fouls.

Also, BHop is seriously hurting us with TO's. Last night was a good night for the team, as they didn't turn the ball over as much as usual. Bhop also had 5 assists, but also half the turnovers...this is ok if he's scoring points. He went 2 of 10 from the field. If he's not a shooter, than what is he? I know he's been working [deleted] defense, but he HAS to come out of this offensive slump for us to be a contender in the tourney. Imagine if we had just Castro, Simpson, Q, and BHop contributing ...

Sharks? You won't see my butt in the water anyway...I'm there for a tan Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby WildHorse » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:03 pm

Not only did Rice only make 3 3-pointers, but they only shot 12. The percentage was much better from a defensive standpoint, but the total number of shots was a drastic improvement, too.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Basketball