PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

St John's big man transferring

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

St John's big man transferring

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Chris Obekpa, 6'10 240. Averaged 5.8ppg and 7 boards last year. I believe he'd have to sit out a year and would have one year of eligibility left. Originally from NY- I wonder if Hobbie has any connections.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: St John's big man transferring

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Wow, that's the biggest loss under Mullin yet. I'd take Obekpa in a heart beat. The definition of rim protector
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Averaged over 3 blocks per game in his three years at St. John's, too. Might be a little bit of a headcase- originally planned to transfer a year ago before changing his mind and was suspended for tournament game for weed. I'd be willing to bet he could shape up for a Hall of Fame coach like LB, though.

He could provide a nice bridge between Markus leaving and before Simeon and the 2016 commits get substantial playing time.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby bubba pony » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:19 pm

new St John's coach Chris Mullin is a tough Brooklyn Native. I suspect he told Obekpa the way it's going to be and he didn't like it. We can do better.
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 pm

(Not really referring to your post, bubba pony) I don't understand why Mullin gets so much respect as a coach. He's never coached before and his times in the front offices of Golden State and Sacramento coincided with awful stretches on the court for those franchises. Great player in his day, sure, but Mullin has earned absolutely none of the respect he gets nationally as a coach. Could he turn out to be a great coach? Sure, but absolutely nothing in his past suggests that he will succeed.

Now, about Obekpa - he's definitely talented but his issues are well-documented.
CalallenStang

Return to Basketball