PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPNU to Cover Kansas, USA National Team at World University

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: ESPNU to Cover Kansas, USA National Team at World Univer

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:02 am

Congrats to Nic, the KU Players = Team USA and finally bringing this tourney win home after several years.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm

I hated Nic playing w/KU. He looked very average, shot abysmally, all while out of position. Frank Mason made him look second tier, so not exactly sure what he takes from the experience beyond a Korean trip and the Gold. To me, this was never about him getting hurt in Korea, but adding grind to his already diminutive stature, that wears down every year.

Someone tell me how all of this improved him or us, cause I don't see it.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:42 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I hated Nic playing w/KU. He looked very average, shot abysmally, all while out of position. Frank Mason made him look second tier, so not exactly sure what he takes from the experience beyond a Korean trip and the Gold. To me, this was never about him getting hurt in Korea, but adding grind to his already diminutive stature, that wears down every year.

I hear you hoop. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being a complete disaster and 10 being perfect by most accounts), I would say his time with the team would grade out to a 5. Since he was filling in for Greene, he needed to shoot like we all know he's capable of doing to approach a 10. The shots just didn't fall. He had a good time, he didn't get hurt, he won a gold medal, he got some experience playing internationally and with a faster clock, etc. Welcome him back to D and move on...
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:I hated Nic playing w/KU. He looked very average, shot abysmally, all while out of position. Frank Mason made him look second tier, so not exactly sure what he takes from the experience beyond a Korean trip and the Gold. To me, this was never about him getting hurt in Korea, but adding grind to his already diminutive stature, that wears down every year.

I hear you hoop. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being a complete disaster and 10 being perfect by most accounts), I would say his time with the team would grade out to a 5. Since he was filling in for Green, he needed to shoot like we all know he's capable of doing to approach a 10. The shots just didn't fall. He had a good time, he didn't get hurt, he won a gold medal, he got some experience playing internationally and with a faster clock, etc. Welcome him back to D and move on...

FWIW, no hate towards Nic for playing, my complaints stem w/HCLB. He's greatness, been amazing for the program, but he's done a slew of things in the last year that sorta make me question if the bats are entering the belfry. I can laundry list them and have thought about doing so in a separate thread, but the good folks around here aren't ready for that
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Go for it.

Or 'post' where it 'counts.'
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 pm

I have absolutely no issue with Nic enhancing his experience and making this trip. From what I can read, the tournament was very fatiguing. Apparently, KU was almost out of energy before the final game. The box scores showed that everyone on the team had dismal shooting averages in the final game and overtimes. Nic played the over 47 minutes in the final game which was the second most on the team. His stats were not great, but he was a crucial element on the team to the point he was needed to play virtually the entire game without rest. Give the kid his due and be glad we have a coach who had the best interest of the kid.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:23 pm

PoconoPony wrote:I have absolutely no issue with Nic enhancing his experience and making this trip. From what I can read, the tournament was very fatiguing. Apparently, KU was almost out of energy before the final game. The box scores showed that everyone on the team had dismal shooting averages in the final game and overtimes. Nic played the over 47 minutes in the final game which was the second most on the team. His stats were not great, but he was a crucial element on the team to the point he was needed to play virtually the entire game without rest. Give the kid his due and be glad we have a coach who had the best interest of the kid.

How was it in the best interest of the kid again? If his goal is to win at the highest level for SMU this year, then make the most money possible, this was a distraction.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:18 am

hoopmanx wrote:FWIW, no hate towards Nic for playing, my complaints stem w/HCLB. He's greatness, been amazing for the program, but he's done a slew of things in the last year that sorta make me question if the bats are entering the belfry. I can laundry list them and have thought about doing so in a separate thread, but the good folks around here aren't ready for that

I'd be interested to hear that. If I had to guess, top two complaints would be letting Nic play with KU and promoting Hobbie to asst?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:56 pm

smupony94

Postby Stallion » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:51 pm

This is a Win for both Nic and SMU Basketball-raising the profile of both. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Are we going to complain about B.Moore and Sterling Moore perfecting their game too.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Zman89 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Nic is in the 574 now.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:I have absolutely no issue with Nic enhancing his experience and making this trip. From what I can read, the tournament was very fatiguing. Apparently, KU was almost out of energy before the final game. The box scores showed that everyone on the team had dismal shooting averages in the final game and overtimes. Nic played the over 47 minutes in the final game which was the second most on the team. His stats were not great, but he was a crucial element on the team to the point he was needed to play virtually the entire game without rest. Give the kid his due and be glad we have a coach who had the best interest of the kid.

How was it in the best interest of the kid again? If his goal is to win at the highest level for SMU this year, then make the most money possible, this was a distraction.

How about the experience and additional coaching!!!!!!
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Stallion wrote: This is a Win for both Nic and SMU Basketball-raising the profile of both. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

Totally agree.
Bergermeister

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:53 pm

I don't think he played particularly well, albeit I only watched the gold medal game against Germany and one earlier in the tourney that I can't recall off the top of my head. He played off the ball which is obviously out of position for him and he wasn't nearly effective.

On a positive note, playing off-ball can only help him as a player to learn to be more effective without the ball in his hands. I'm an advocate for it with players I coach. I think you learn to develop a different skill-set and create offense in a different manner than the traditional facilitator role.

That being said, his height was really exploited at times where he struggles to make a simple pass that a player of normal height makes in his sleep. All in all, it was a cool opportunity for him and I'm sure it won't hurt him one bit to play with players of that caliber. His weaknesses aren't much related to his skill-set at this point so much as they are to his height. He's still a good player at the end of the day.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Wore an SMU shirt to the grocery store tonight- random guy came up and said he was a KU alum and enjoyed watching Nic and was going to try and get to a game at Moody this year to see us play.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball