PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Q Ross

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Q Ross

Postby WildHorse » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:53 pm

I'm really going to miss The Q when he graduates. What we have here in #13 is a true warrior. The guy is so thin you could use him to pick locks, but he's tough as nails and completely fearless. He drives into the paint, gets clobbered, calmly drains a couple of free throws (usually) and then goes about doing it all over again. What's even better is that he NEVER complains - to the coaches, the refs or to the opposing players. He takes his punishment, let's his game serve as his reply and shuts up one opponent after another.

He's also a tremendously smart player. Against Tulsa, he didn't look like he was "feeling it" offensively. So, rather than hoist a bunch of Sasser-esque heaves, he took mostly very short shots or passed to those shooters who were having a better night. And in the meantime, he always rebounds hard and plays sensational defense.

I firmly believe that despite all the points and attention he's had this season, we haven't seen even a fraction of his offensive game. But that's just evidence that perhaps his best quality is the fact that he has such an even temperment. He can dominate a team with 3s and dunks, work through a workmanlike game of free throws like last night or even have an off-night, and you can never tell by watching his face or his on-court demeanor. He looks just the same, in terms of his expression and his body language, whether he's had a great night or a terrible night.

Q clearly takes great pride in his game, and he is as effective on both ends of the floor as anyone we've had in years. A team full of Q Rosses would be extremely tough to beat, because he does so many things so well. Let's all appreciate what we have, and make sure to be at the last home game to send him off in style. He's been a great player for SMU, and deserves every bit of success he's had.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Q Ross

Postby ponyboy » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:48 am

That post ranks as one of the all time greats. Q deserves the accolades -- I hope he sees the post. He's a class individual and will be sorely missed.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Otto » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:13 pm

Right on. Put it this way — his is the first replica jersey I've ever bought, and I'm proud to be seen in it anywhere. Q is one of the all-time greats at SMU, for his production on the court and for the way he carries himself, on and off the court.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Stampede » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:45 pm

You can get the Ross replica at The Spirit Shop at Moody Coliseum. I got mine autographed by "The Q". I think they are something like $34.95.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Higher Authority » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:54 pm

I'm a big fan of Jibran Kelley, too. He hasn't had the numbers Q has, but he's always been active on the boards and on defense, and he seems to accept his role and compete every single game. I've met him a couple of times, too - really nice guy.

[This message has been edited by Higher Authority (edited 02-24-2003).]
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby simpson » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:03 pm

With Q leaving, who will replace him in the starting 5 next season? Will it be Lowe? Hopefully Isham can step up and score more next season. Also, if the last 2 games are any indication, Simpson may be on his way to seriously elevating his game next season.

Our bench looks to be painfully thin again next year. It looks like we'll have Voc, Miller, the Rack, Aitkenhead, Bennett, Pearson, Reay, and a host of walk-ons. I don't see a serious 6th man in the bunch. Not to mention a 7th, 8th, or 9th. Thoughts?
simpson

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:32 pm

SImpson is very close to being a true star, and with Q gone next year, he and Hop and Isham and Castro will have to carry the offense. Hopefully either Miller will join Isham in a three-guard lineup or one of the true freshmen will step up and prove himself as a serious offensive threat. Pearson is supposed to be a great athlete, isn't he?
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby The Q » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:26 pm

Glad folks are starting to recognize what I've thought for a long time - that Q is one of the most talented and underappreciated players in America. He deserves every bit of praise that comes his way, and more.
The Q
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:45 pm

Q will be sorely missed and I don't see a replacement at all next year. I wish he was a JR. this year!

Isham has potential but he hasn't been consistent at all. Castro, Hop, and Simpson will have to pull lots of weight next year.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HoopDeeDoo » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:49 am

What about redshirts Biggers and Craft?
Will they contribute next season?
HoopDeeDoo

Postby PonyTales » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:11 pm

I don't know, I see them Craft as a small-minutes backup. I think Biggers is a Michael Dement, Jr. kind of player. Very valuable practice player.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Basketball