PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Building the Program

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Building the Program

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Seems like we're not getting as much love from the 5 / high 4 star guys as when Brown first started. Even guys in that category who didn't commit seemed to be giving us deeper looks before. I think that the new car smell has worn off a little for the bball program.

However, I think we can legitimately get back into the race with those guys by going deep in the tourney with our 3/4 stars & high level transfers.

Larry is still killing it & now recruiting kids who fit the program academically as well.

#godfather
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Re: Building the Program

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:40 pm

last year was a historically strong year in DFW-that's about the only difference

We are coming off one of the greatest recruiting years in SMU History
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:06 am

We are always going to be pushing the edge academically - which is a good sign. Whenever we have all great students that's when Moody you will see a bunch of home loses.

I wish we had one more recruiter who really was on the inside - I feel like that is the only thing we are missing right now. that UCLA game was a real shame - a sweet sixteen visit would have had us more in the mix. As it is I think we are in great shape - need to shake off the cloud and get down to business. Nic looks like he is going to be coming in with his hair on fire.
gostangs

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:15 am

I've said it before, but we're making a move towards the sustainable. The first few years were hot and heavy, build from nothing, leave a trail of vapors. It worked on the court, it's just chaos everywhere else. Now, we've been tagged by the NCAA, gotten the tourney monkey off our back and have radically changed the types of kids we prospect. Some of that is settling in to what this job and program is and isn't, some of it is staff turnover.

That said, the '15 class was really good. IF Carter gets cleared, he's a steal and we may still not be done in '15, imagine that. Most of the kids are legit students from quality families. If '16 goes that way, we're in the best shape we've ever been in w/regards to year to year success. The first 3 years were a blast, but that methodology will crash and burn eventually. Glad we've started to do what makes sense for keeping us top 20 competitive as opposed to white elephant hunting
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Pretty fun to think we have Semi for three seasons (when he's eligible in the fall) and Shake, Sed, Jarrey, and hopefully Carter for the next four. Should be some more fun times ahead-- I heard through a friend who's pretty connected to the program that it would be a surprise if Jank sticks around much longer- he thinks he may look for a head coaching gig elsewhere sooner rather than later if Larry is around 3-4 more years.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:13 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Pretty fun to think we have Semi for three seasons (when he's eligible in the fall) and Shake, Sed, Jarrey, and hopefully Carter for the next four. Should be some more fun times ahead-- I heard through a friend who's pretty connected to the program that it would be a surprise if Jank sticks around much longer- he thinks he may look for a head coaching gig elsewhere sooner rather than later if Larry is around 3-4 more years.

But is it realistic to think Larry is around 3-4 more years? I know his daughter is here and hes a pretty active for his age, but he would be almost 80 at that point. I would love to see him here as long as possible obviously but I am curious to see how much longer he wants to go.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

Maybe he can step into an advisory role in the future and simply coach during practice but not show up to any games? I think that would remove a lot of pressure and help preserve our ties to him and thus recruiting edge.
mustangxc

Postby pwnyxpress » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:57 am

I think he'll be here until we win a championship or health gets in the way. Was his stated goal from day one...
pwnyxpress
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Pretty fun to think we have Semi for three seasons (when he's eligible in the fall) and Shake, Sed, Jarrey, and hopefully Carter for the next four. Should be some more fun times ahead-- I heard through a friend who's pretty connected to the program that it would be a surprise if Jank sticks around much longer- he thinks he may look for a head coaching gig elsewhere sooner rather than later if Larry is around 3-4 more years.

But is it realistic to think Larry is around 3-4 more years? I know his daughter is here and hes a pretty active for his age, but he would be almost 80 at that point. I would love to see him here as long as possible obviously but I am curious to see how much longer he wants to go.

If his daughter is enrolling this fall, and he turns 75 in September, then he'll be 78 when she's a senior. Then it may be time. But before then, barring any unforeseen health issues, I think he's here. Getting this program to a Final Four would rival any of the professional accomplishments in his Hall of Fame career
East Coast Mustang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 pm

BTW, if Larry gets us a to a Final Four, do we rename it "Larry Brown Court at Moody Coliseum?" Doc Hayes might have something to say about that. If Larry wins a national title before he leaves then we absolutely do it, though.
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 am

If LB got us to final four he'd have the floor named after him and just about anything else.
gostangs

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:41 am

gostangs wrote:If LB got us to final four he'd have the floor named after him and just about anything else.

A statue of LB in front of Moody would be awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:19 am

I would name my first born LB if he won a title here. Mark it!
smusic 00

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:29 am

smusic 00 wrote:I would name my first born LB if he won a title here. Mark it!

You have a couple of kids running around Thailand and Amsterdam
smupony94

Postby Mestengo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 pm

not going to do it lol
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball